What one 7mm-08 or 300 win mag help

as stated, the 7-08 will get used and is capable of taking everything in lower 48 without a problem.

Most moose are shot at close range because the habitat they live in....

Since you hand load, ammo will never be a problem.

My vote is 7mm-08
thumbup1.gif

I own both,
Didnt use my Sako 300 WSM very often, sometimes for very longrange shooting ( 1000 yard steel plate ) and shooting moose once in a while.
My 7mm-08 is now my main rifle.
It will shoot and kill anything I want, breeze to my shoulder compare to the bowling ball hit from the 300.
I like too shoot, thats why the 7mm is always on the ATV rack.
300 wsm:
7mm-08:
7mm-08 Milk Jug:
300 wsm jug:
I tryed the 300 wsm on bear, thats my definition of overpower

blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

OK, this thread has shocked me to the core. Never, I mean never in all of my surfing on the internet have I seen more fans of a non magnum caliber when comparing a non magnum caliber to a magnum. Im impressed.

I have a 7mm-08 myself and was searching the internet for suggestions on shooting elk with it. Came across a thread on a big game forum where the magnum crowd was flaming the hec out of the non mag crowd about using anything less than a 7mag on elk- until a professional elk guide chimed in. He proceeded to set the record straight on just what a 7mm-08 can do to an elk out to a few hundred yards. He pretty much stated that it was a go to caliber for him on recoil sensitive clients and kids. This guy checked to be the rreal thing with some of the forum members. The magnum crowd got real quiet real quick.

Personally, I would have no hesitations on taking a shot at an Elk with my current load (Sierra 150gr SBT) on an elk out to 400yds. And with the right bullet, a moose at 250yds. As someone said earlier though, moose is usually a much closer encounter.

7mm-08 is a 308 with better bullet selection and external ballistics. It is extemely easy to load for, has good barrel life, and is much easier on the wallet than the 300 mag- which by the way is a completely different animal when comparing the two.

Hands down the 300 is head and shoulder above the 7mm-08..

You can load the 300 down but you can't load a 7 up

My first moose was shot with my 300 wsm at 325 meter.
Perfect shot right into the cage, bullet went through completely ( ribs ) Walked 50 feet total, Ill show you the track and the game.
I love my 300 WSM for that purpose, but not a funny rifle to shoot and play with.
For the average hunter who shoot 3 round a year, problably wont bother him at all.

I may never own another long action after owning my 7mm08. Belted magnums, even less of a chance. I'm a big game hunter, not a shooter. I'd rather see their eye lashes when I pull the trigger and know I hunted inside of their range than to sling lead at them from my range. That's just how I like doing it, must be the bowhunter in me. Now varmints are a different story. I like hunting both ways with them. Only way I'd consider anything bigger than a short action is for the "big" bears. Then I'd probably just go with my muzzleloader instead of buying a magnum. I like to shoot my rifles too, not much fun getting clobbered with nothing but paper for your reward.

Id go 7mm. Its not all knowdown. The 284 bullets are long and carry energy well. They buck the wind well and have better ballistics ib the same bullet weght. I have a 308 and 7 mag. Id rather use my 7 mag at anything and not worry about it. Being that your reloading you can load light bullets or lower charges to help manage recoil.

wow, ton of 7mm08 fans the 7mm is a great round but to me the 7mm 08 doesn't shine, now if you were talking 7mm mag vs 300 win I might say go with the 7mm but since your talking about a 08 I'll say go with the 300 since you also talk about reloading, because like it was mentioned above the 300 can be loaded down but you can only get so much out of the 7mm08. the 30 cal can shoot from a 110gr bullet to a 220gr and can cover any thing you ever want to hunt.

heck buy them both

Id go 7mm. Its not all knowdown. The 284 bullets are long and carry energy well. They buck the wind well and have better ballistics ib the same bullet weght. I have a 308 and 7 mag. Id rather use my 7 mag at anything and not worry about it. Being that your reloading you can load light bullets or lower charges to help manage recoil.

7mm-08... why? 300wsm is a heck of alot more kick and only a little more performance. You are also more likely to shoot a light kicking gun well.

Originally Posted By: cecIm a 300 fan..I sold mine and replaced it with a 300rum
According to youre Avatar, Using a 300 RUM to shoot a cat. Ouch !!!
poor kitty: HAHA !!!!
Hope you reload
wink.gif

TAke care

A little more performance? The 300 outshoots the 7mm at max point blank range [White tail sized game] with 150 grain bullets by ~75 yard, and has more velocity and energy.. This is calculating trajectories using like bullets [Nosler 150 partitions] and like max powder charges[IMR4350]..

7mm ~ 2804, BC .458

300 ~ 3254, BC .387

At longer ranges the 7 never catches up, but loses ground and energy..

Back east where distances are shorter the 7-08 is ok.. Out here most people shoot big magnums because the country is quite a bit more open.. I shoot a 7 RUM because when I see the 30 pointer way over there I don't wanna be wondering if I can get a bullet there..

I'm a big fan of my 7mm Rem Mag. It doesn't have much more recoil then a 30-06 and is fast and flat. I think a 7-08 is fine but I like the knock down power and range of my magnum.

Back