Ring height for Savage?

rynokron

What ring height do I need for a 50mm objective on my Savage model 11? Leaning towards the Burris extreme tactical rings, but open to suggestions. Mine came with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope and some cheap looking rings. (Hunter package) Thinking the bases are fine, but want better rings. Will be mounting a Bushnell Elite 3200 5x15x50.

I have model 12 and 10. http://www.egwguns.com/ Have great one piece mounts, don't forget to get blue locktite. I own 6 or 7 sets of Burris extreme tactical rings.

Look at how long range shoots set their rifles. They are always high. Your face has to square to the scope. You can not see your scope with your head tilted forward. I use a bubble level Brownells BBL300.So, I do not cant my rifle.

Savage 12 should be close to an 11. I needed high rings to clear the barrel. The objective bell is 57 mm. Your scope may be smaller in bell diameter, though.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they are low bases. Will try find link on Savage website.
The med Burris rings are 1/2" and the talls are 3/4". What are the drawbacks of just going with the talls? Do I want it as low as possible without touching the barrel?

If it can help you, heres what I got.
Savage 12 FV
Base EGW 20 MOA
Rings 30mm
Burris Extreme Tactical HIGH
Scope is a Leupold Mark-4 8.5-25x50mm

Thanks Eclipse! Very nice rig. Any problems with having scope mounted that high? My bases are lower than yours. (they can be seen in link) With the high rings I would still be a little lower than you are but still have plenty of room for the 50mm AO.

30t5dvc.jpg

Savage Model 10
Tally base
Nightforce Med rings
56mm scope

Put a flat object across your bases;ruler,thin flat bar,cd case,whatever.Put feeler gauges or shims under the flat bottom of turret housing until you have the scope height you want.Measure to bottom of your scope tube and thats the height you need.
I have lows on a 12vlp with a 56 mm bell,egw hd base.sits about 1/8 the off barrel.

Last edited:
Im looking on what to use for a savage 11 heavy barrel, egw 20moa or 0moa base and a leupold mark ar 3-9×40.....looking at either warne 200m or 201m cant decide....most shots will be 100-300yds. Still unsure of 0moa or 20moa egw base also. Have a 20 otw but may return for a 0moa...please advise

I believe the 20 moa base is meant for very long range shooting. It's like adding more verticle adjustment in the scope.

I have a savage 10 varmint barrel, egw 0 moa base, weaver medium rings, 44mm objective. The scope sits off the barrel maybe 1/4" or so.

Ok....i will go with my gut and return it for the 0moa....i will add i called optics planet this morning and tried to change it....was talked to extremely rudely and hung up on. I hope the return process doesnt involve more phone time after i recieve it.

Back