Just how good is a coyotes nose?

Whitetail Hunter

how good can a coyote smell. I know they make scent covers and such butdo you really need it with coyotes? How far away can they smell you? are theirs better then deer?

If they get that far around you that sent is an issue it is already to late.There is no cover sent that will fool a spooky coyote long. I wear a has-mat/charcoal suite under my camo as a sent block and just the other day I had one get around me. The wind was higher than I like to call in around 15 mph. When he hit my sent cone it was like he hit a block wall,he planted his front feet and his back half almost pasted his front.He zeroed in on me and looked me right in the eyes.A split second to shift around and fire,but to late he was gone .

I was out late last winter with about a 5mph wind blowing to the SE. I was facing due E and not paying much attention to the SE. I glanced to the SE and here comes a coyote, dead downwind of me. I got my laser on him in scan mode, and at 492yds he turned inside out and ran like [beeep] back the way he came.

Look at the drug sniffing dogs, they can find a Kilo of drugs, tripled sealed in plastic, stuffed inside the diesel fuel tank of an onion truck. Their reward is a piece of kibble.

I don't think you can fool 'the nose'.

Hello gunners, how good is a coyotes nose. i say as good as a good hunting dog. if there noses are the same size. if a coyotes nose gets full of pollen and pluggs up his nose.

How does he unplug his nose?

A coyotes nose is so good he can smell you before you even know that he's there. Wind or not that coyote has the one UP on anything i've ever seen and hunted. Also if you would
"Let One Rip" in your cab of the Chevy before you get out. Your could be without a dog. Don't ask me how I know this..

Sometimes they can smell what you're thinking.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: Whitetail Hunterwhat should you do to try and help prevent them from smelling you?

The best and only thing you can do is not let them get your wind. Its that black and white in my opinion.

Back