Contests are hurting the hunting around here

MotoHunter

With the WCCC here the first weekend of Dec, the Sportsmans Challenge last weekend, and a couple of small low key contests here in the mid Rio Grande valley. I gota tell you it pretty tough hunting now. Stuff that worked before just ain't getting them to come in. They yell at us, but won't show themselves. They been going to school for a month and a half and learned alot apparently. I don't commonly hunt in late Jan or into Feb breeding time, but might have to extend my season this year a little.

I feel your pain buddy! Here down south it's the same thing! Way to many people educating these dogs! This season has been my toughest so far! The majority of my kills this season have been taken past 300 yards! It's a tough year!

Well, you got a bunch of skilled hunters coming you way next month, and maybe me and my son will get down there for the PM hunt and convention as well. I might be in Utah.

Times like these weed out the amateurs. Now is the time to really work at my calling skills to be successful. I'm not gonna let an educated coyote get the best of me.

I'm waiting for the used gear to start popping up, I'd give $200 for a slightly used Firestorm or Fury. I'm going out next Friday, we'll see how it goes.

Seems it should just make you a better caller than. If you can call in the educated variety, the grade school dropouts should be no problem.

I mean because you are calling perfectly right?
smile.gif
It couldn't possibly be you, the wind, the sound you use, the way you conceal yourself, the fact that there may have been adequate food sources in abundance, the fact that you got busted when you rolled up, coyote lazyness, your choice in a stand, volume of the call, or any number of probably a lot more than what I've come up with in ten seconds that need to or need not happen for a particular stand on any particular day to go well. Hint: Try Jack in Distress
smile.gif

Just Kiddin buddy, keep after em
smile.gif

I don't need to be made a better caller. I would like to have more opportunities. I agree. I don't care whether you are a pro or an amateur the contests and videos and e-callers out there have lessened the quality of the hunts as compared to the "old days". Just a sign of the times.

predator hunting popularity has and will continue to decrease the quality of hunting in many areas. when i got serious about coyote hunting back in '99, i never saw anyone else out hunting them. now every place i hunt has hunting pressure. the numbers are down, and the pressure is up.

Only thing left to happen is for it to become a Rich Man's sport.

They will be paying top dollar to be put on the coyotes, instead of finding them for themselves.

While I realize this has nothing to do with contests but since ya'll were talking about how hunting is so popular and everyone is seeing hunters everywhere I checked the license sales from 1996 vs 2006/7 and we now have 4.3 MILLION FEWER hunters out there and it is probably less now because I continue to hear license sales continue to decline.

There do seem to be more predator hunters out now than used to be but it does not seem to be keeping me from killing some. Seems like I have years where it is really tough but this has not been one of them.

Without question, the coyote population has been dinged around contest areas, but I have a difficult time believing
that hunters have made any significant reduction in dog numbers across the continent. Otherwise, we would be seeing greater numbers of their prey returning.

Thunderstryke, the number of coyotes might not have gone down, but there are a lot more educated coyotes so they are tougher to get.

Venatic, the license numbers are down, but in most states I hunt for predators you don't need a license so who knows how many predator hunters are out there.

I just find places where others dont go. Private land is the key. You would be amazed how few guys have the nuts to bang on a door too ask.

I do agree completely that there are more predator hunters than ever before but the bigger picture is that overall less and less folks are taking to the field hunting each year... oh and I was one of those that hunted predators in Montana without a license a couple of months ago so your point is taken.
grin.gif

Back