52gr smk bullets for long range 22-250?

swift one

I just picked up a Savage 12 in 22-250 and want to build it into a 500yd pdog rig. I plan on replacing the stock with a duramaxx and put a 3200 10 x 40 Mil/ mil scope on it.

My question is about the bullet selection though. Have done some research and keep seeing the old stand by of the following reciepe: 52gr SMK BT, and 38.0gr of H380. I was leaning more towards the 50gr Vmax but I keep seeing the 52gr smk recipe. How far have you guys been able to accuratley shoot the 52gr SMK? I alost exculsivley use extreme powders in my rifles (varget is my standby in 308 parent cases), but I am seriously considering some H380. Have you guys found some POI changes though out the temp range with 380?

First what is your twist rate?
Yes h380 poi will change as outside temps change.
If you have a 1-9 twist I would go with the 75 grain a-max for long distance PD shooting.
H380 will work fine if you load and sight for the temp you will be shooting in.

I'd work something up with your Varget!! I shoot the same bullet and at 200 yards the 5 group is around an inch I don't run it Max but can shoot out to 400 yards with out much guessing . At 500 I'd have to shoot it more but if the wind is not blowing I feel quite confident It would still be shooting very good. A bit more speed would make it a 600 yard bullet but I get my best grouping at 100 with it around 3600 fps.

It's a 1x12" twist. How well do the 52gr SMKs perform on the pdogs? I have also seriously considered the 50gr vmax or the 52gr Amax. I like the bulk ordering capacity of the 50gr.

Yes, I like varget for the consistency throght the temp spectrum. And I will more than likely do that- especily if I go with the vmax bullets.

1-12 I like the 60 grain Nosler BT. Not sure if there is a v-max 60. Never shot the 52 SMK.
Varget is also what I use for all temp range shooting.

My TC does not like any of the V-max offerings, for what ever reason I have a 1/14 twist.I like to use a little faster ( smaller) bullet on Pd's to watch them flip and spin, but the 52 puts them down. There very fur friendly on coyotes too

I have heard bad and good with the 52s and expansion on the pdogs. I am liking what hornady is showing with varget and the 50gr Vmax and the 52gr Amax

The 52 mk experience I have is out of a 223, but I will give it anyway. They didn't expand a whole lot compared to a softpoint or poly tipped bullet, and they tended to do a lot of 'whining' (ricochet). Were very accurate for me, though.

Ok, so I'm leaning towards the vmax now. Any recomendations between the 50gr or 55gr? Looking for explosive results on the pdogs and istant termination of ground hogs.

Back