.22 Mag for yotes?

coyotecontrol

Has anyone ever used a .22 or .22 mag for coyotes? Will this caliber knock down a yote without it running off afterwords? I'm asking this because a fur buyer told me to use a .22 mag so fur isn't damaged.

The .22 and the .22 mag. have both killed coyotes. There have also been a pile of coyotes run off after being hit with these calibers. I've had coyotes hit at 100yds. with a .223 and run off.

If you want something to kill them dead,you need a .243, 25.06, or larger. Problem is they are not fur friendly.

Most of the .22 centrefires are fur friendly,most of the time. They are also deadly on coyotes as long as you can shoot well and are aware of the limitations of your caliber.

I shoot a .223 with 52 gr. HPBT match bullets and seldom have an exit hole and only a .22 cal entrance. I am happy with the killing power out to 300 yds. I seldom have a hit coyote run off.

I would only use a .22 or .22 mag. for coyotes on a trap line.

Welcome to the board CC

Redfrog is right and don't be fooled by the .17 HMR either. Neither of these are coyote rounds. If this fur buyer had everyone shoot yotes with a 22 mag he would be out of business.

If you want to shoot a coyote with a .22lr and NOT have it run off, you'll have to call him in close enough to stick the barrel down his throat. Well, ok, maybe its not that bad, but your chances of stopping him in his tracks are not good.

A .22 mag, with a heavy bullet, will kill one IF you center the shot in his head, or at least a "vitals" shot.

Sure, it's been done, many times. But far more often than not a coyote will run off. It may die 50 yards away or it may die 3 days later far away (with a LOT of pain and suffering).

Don't underestimate the coyote's will to live and its toughness. If .22lr or .22 mag is all you have for now, limit yourself to very close range(less than 50 yards for the lr and less than 80 yards for the mag), and very clear shots well placed from an accurate weapon. The upside to all of this is that you will need to become a very good caller and you will learn what camo is for.

Don't mean to scold, but please be very precise if you must hunt coyotes with either of the rimfires. It has to do with having respect for the animal. In the meantime, save up and look into something like a .223 NEF or a Savage .223, both relatively inexpensive guns.

Best of luck in hunting the coyotes!

I have had considerably more experience with the 22 mag then I want. Since AR law requires me to use it when hunting any public land, I tried it extensively for a couple of years, and the results were not good. I lost several dogs and one fine bobcat before I gave up and went to a shotgun. Even with the pitifully small #4 shot I am required to use, it is a more sure killer up close than the 22 mag. I tried several loads and bullet weights in the mag, but a rimfire is just not enough gun to be consistant on Coyotes. And yes, those lost were hit in vital spots. I would much prefer to use my 22/250 but we are saddled with a bad law, and lost and suffering animals are the predictable results. As the man said--USE ENOUGH GUN!
Ozark Charlie

Hey Charlie,
What page in AR game and fish rules does it say anything about .22 mags on public land? I must have missed the one??

You might look into a .22K Hornet. It's basically a .22 Hornet with a modern case (not straight) and allows a bit more accuracy and punch than the traditional Hornet. This load is a step up from the the .22 mag but not as much as a .223.

Yes, you can use the .22mag. I have had good success within the limits that I have had to use. Nothing beyond 75yds. clear shots(no brush), coyote standing still.

This subject is just an easy target for opinion.

If that is all you have and all you can afford, by all means use it. Go to the range, find out which ammo performs best through your rifle and go and call.

If they come within the 75yd mark, no worries.

If not you will have some troubles of some sort or the other. Either you will pass on some sure kills with a smaller caliber like the .20 tact. , or you will wound a few and get upset by that.

I can't speak for the others here, but myself I have been in the situation where that was all I had. I went hunting and learned the limitations of the gun I was using and as soon as I could I got something more appropiate for the job, because I was pissed at watching them walk when they hung up.

Later pup

Originally posted by SteveM:
[qb]Hey Charlie,
What page in AR game and fish rules does it say anything about .22 mags on public land? I must have missed the one??[/qb]
SteveM
New reg books are not out and I have tossed last years, so I can't give you an exact page number. When new book comes out,look at the section on Wildlife management areas, It will say something to the effect that only rimfire rifles are allowed on management areas during any season except gun deer season.
That pretty well covers all the public land in AR except a few Federal areas like Ft. Chaffee which has different regs. I have met with a number of AG&FC commission employees about this over the years and there is tremendous opposition in the enforcement division about changing it.
OC

Hey Redfrog,

Right back at ya!
How many have you shot with the .22mag? How many "dropped" dead? What ammo works?
thanks and later pup

I have got on video a great example of what I am talking about in the use of a .22mag, in which my boy kills his first coyote with a .22mag. At the time it was the only gun he could manage, and I had to call him off of several that were out of his/my range of clean kill, prior to getting the clean shot.

later pup

Hey Pup,?????
Is that your answer?

I asked the questions, because you advocated using the .22 mag. obviously,you've had more experience than I and I was trying to learn something.

Sorry if I offended you. It won't happen again.

Thanks Charlie, I will have to check that one out. Had some guys tell me they were hunting on some of them Mgt. Areas with .223's.

.22 Magnum (WMR) - Use as a head shooting weapon within 75 yards. Use a fairly good scope on it.

All other coyotes outside 75 yards need my favorite caliber. Any guesses what that might be?

Originally posted by Redfrog:
[qb]Hey Pup,?????
Is that your answer?

I asked the questions, because you advocated using the .22 mag. obviously,you've had more experience than I and I was trying to learn something.

Sorry if I offended you. It won't happen again.[/qb]
No, that wasn't my answer, it was my question.

I am learning also.

Winchester Supreme, which is what my Remington 597 bull barrel seems to like the best. I am getting ragged one hole groups I can cover with a quarter at 100yds.

My limit on this gun is as I have stated before, 75yds. no brush( clear kill window ) , and standing still.

The twenty or so coyotes that I have taken with this caliber will not give a good reflection on this caliber for overall use by everyone.

As my limitations are not the same as everyone else's.

I have not lost a coyote shot with the .22mag.
I have had to hunt one shot by somebody else, thus my limitations.

I do not have to use the .22mag soley any more for coyotes.
I do take it on occasion in tight situations, whether it is for coyotes or bobcats.
My boy will take it for the rest of this year.

Advocating the use of a .22mag?
I didn't "advocate" the use of the .22mag, in that you never need to get something better suited for coyotes.

My opinion is that it will work within the limitations of the caliber and shooter, and work well. You might have to pass on some questionable opportunities, but it will bring one down quick if used right.

My opinion is that if the .22mag is all you have or all you can afford or all that is allowed, then use it, as opposed to staying at home.

There are some good lessons to be learned using a limited means of taking a coyote. Stand selection, wind, camo, etc.
If you are getting them in close enough for you to be successful with the .22mag or bow or a shotgun with a limitation on shot size, then you are having to pay more attention to detail than most of the rest of us.

I had to use all three means listed above when I first started. I think it made me a better hunter.

Are you saying you have no experience with the .22mag?

No, I wasn't offended.
I hope that you aren't offended that I asked you a question.

I do have a few questions of my own, in regards to the .22mag.
I would like to pick the brain of somebody who actually advocates the caliber, meaning I would like to speak with somebody who soley/primarily relies on the .22mag as a calling gun for coyotes.

Not much of a chance of them speaking up, with good reason.

later pup

Pup,

I only use a 22 mag when hunting coyotes.

Yes, they are tough critters with an insatiable lust for life.

What It simply boils down to is 2 simple rules that anyone shooting any caliber should practice.
1.) SHOT PLACEMENT.
2.) YARDAGE OF THE SHOT.

I keep shots under 100 yd. and i want the animal still as i can make him be.

Head shots, or dual air bags from a Win. Supreme 34gr.will do it every time.

Up here where I hunt there is no long shots to take. An exception would be fields or lakes in the winter. But if I'm hunting one of those areas I'll use a decoy placed about 20 yd away.

I've shot deer with my .30-06 and had to track them 50-60yd, big deal. I've shot deer with my .25-06 and all have gone down immediately. SO, when is dead any different than deader?

Same holds true for the .223 I sold. I'VE had coyotes spin longer after being shot, than It took for one to secumb to a well placed 22 mag hit doing a 30 yd dash!

I'll keep using it because it works for me and because I don't need to take every coyote that may come to my calling. Love those short range encounters!!

mudflap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'll be the first to tell you, that I love my little .22mag bolt action Marlin rifle. On the other hand, I am not going to grab it to shoot Mr. Yote, unless that is the only gun at my reach at the time. I like my 25-06 or 6mm Remington for such work.

I have dropped many a fox in their tracks with a 45 grain bullet at 1500 fps with in 50 yards of the hen house. Once shot a yote who woke us up at 2 in the morning (head shot at 20 yards) while picking his way through the table scraps put into our trash cans sitting in back of the house.

The heavier bullet is much better for insured penetration, but it is NOT a yote caliber no matter what anybody else tells you OK. If you must use a .22mag, limit your shots to under 50 yards. Stay away from those 32 grain varmint loads at 2000 fps, they blow up on the surface of animals like coon and fox etc. great for squirrels, P-dogs and crows though.

Back