Areas to hunt around Redding

adamhawj

Im looking for good areas to hunt coyote around Red Bluff and Redding. I own a foxpro unit and I've yet to take a Coyote. Public access is good and private would be great as well.

Thanks

BLM map & head out around Hoggsback Rd for a start.
The area around Westwood always resulted in me & my sons taking dogs down.
I can give those away since I no longer live in in that area.
Watch out for hmong road hunters...they shoot at anything that moves...even you from my own experiances.

Hogs Back Road is all private property now. BLM sold all the accessible property last year.

Go to the BLM Office in Redding & buy some maps.

Lee

Some areas around lake shasta along fender fairy rd. I live up in Susanville and call westwood area those coyotes are on thier A game. I have started calling the timber more lately because everyone is pounding the sage.

The Stephans Meadows areas was my best for spot 10 years running, until I moved here.
There is a primative camping area there and they would come right into or just outside of it almost every night on their hunts for food.
My sons & I took 47 or so out of that area (1986-1997)which runs from silver lake north to stephan meadows....tons of open areas and we would set up on each side of those fields. The coyotes would usually come up out of the slight dips that run the length or along the creeks that split the meadows or out to the edge of the woods.
The cat is out of the bag for you all out in that area.
Westwood A21 north to Silver Lake Road turn off on the left, a few miles in take a right up the road and everything on the left from that road to the campground was "hot".
Id say about a 10 mile circle from Stephans Meadows was our coyote heaven. We never saw or heard another coyote caller in thiose days up there at all.

Start knocking on doors, sending out flyers. Not a lot of people hunt predators in California, so a lot of ranchers will jump at the chance to have someone come kill their pests for free.

If you ever are in Southern Mendocino County, shoot me a P.M. The calling is tough here, but we go almost 1-1 on Coyotes to Bobcats.

Back