Can fox and coyotes survive mange?

I killed a real big red last night that was covered over his hind quarters and tail. So far this year it's been pretty mild so weather doesn't seem to be a factor in mortality. I'm just wondering if it's possible for Mange to run it's course in canines and for them to heal up and survive without medical treatment (i.e. no vet bill).

It seems like a waste to shoot them if there's a chance they could pull through. On the other hand if it's a death sentence then I guess we do them a favor.

Thanks for the link Heretic. I've only shot 2 animals this year with it. One Yote and this fox.

what does everyone do with dead mangy canines? I have dogs at home so I don't even want to touch them, but I've been told leaving them lay can contribute to the spread of the mites.

Thoughts?

I believe some folks bury them. That would seem like the right thing to do but canines are known for their sense of smell and might dig up a kill.

shoot em, it will get worse and worse... i gave one some dectomax that i caught in a live trap 2yrs ago... should of killed all his bugs... the ones you kill with mange, take a wizz on, the others will stay well away, once the scent is gone the mange bug will be dead.

Quote:It seems like a waste to shoot them if there's a chance they could pull through. Mange spreads by way of contact. One coyote with mange makes contact with one without mange, and whaa-lah...another coyote has mange. In other words, you need to kill the ones with mange to keep it from spreading to the ones wtihout mange.

Shoot them and stay away from the body. I think Glenn's response is spot on. Up here they don't stand much of a chance in the winter with no coat. In mild climates they might make it, if it's true that mangy animals die from exposure. Either way it's spread by contact, a live dog is just another way for others to get infected.

Nate

Back