M-223 Turret Knobs

Riflemann

I have a M-223 3x12x40 BDC600, I have the scope sited in at 100 yards, I reset the knobs at 0. When I have the gun in the case and go to remove it, it will end up that the knobs will turn from zero and I am haveing to turn it back to zero. Am I missing something, Do the knobs have some kind of a lock so they will not turn by accident? I like the scope, but having to always check the turrets to make sure it is at zero is getting to be a pain in the backside.

Rifle
I also use turrets-M1 on my lupy and you are correct without a zero stop you must pay attention to make sure the turrets did not get turned.
I have a an ar I hunt with alot and is does at times get turned by accident so for a quick visual check I took a razor blade and put a fine line on the turret so I could always find zero no mater how far it got turned.
I had a long range 30-378 on a hunting trip that must have been turned many revs and (I think at the airport)had to shoot it to find the correct zero.
But with the horizontal line I put on the turret I can always find my zero.

Originally Posted By: RiflemannI have a M-223 3x12x40 BDC600, I have the scope sited in at 100 yards, I reset the knobs at 0. When I have the gun in the case and go to remove it, it will end up that the knobs will turn from zero and I am haveing to turn it back to zero. Am I missing something, Do the knobs have some kind of a lock so they will not turn by accident? I like the scope, but having to always check the turrets to make sure it is at zero is getting to be a pain in the backside.

That is my number one and only complaint of this scope. I have it on my AR and when I went on leave I went coyote hunting with my brother. Everytime I got out of the truck I had to reset the turrets back to zero. And yes I pushed the caps back down when I sighted it in. This scope, IMHO, would be alot better if they would have A)put the screw on covers like leupolds over the turrets so they won't get moved or B)had the traditional unscrew caps then use a nickel for adjustments. The scope has a BDC and has no need for tacticool turrets. I have target turrets on my 308 that I set up for longrange shooting and they don't move everytime they get bumped.
At least the scope tracks well and returns to zero everytime (so far). And it didn't fog up once in the cold and the glass was really clear, even at night looking through at the kill light.

I used some black electrical tape on it to hold it in place, but I should not have to do this cheap fix when I spent so much money for a good quality scope. I agree that there is no need for adjustable turrets when you have the BDC rings.

If its any consolation I have had the same issue with mine like mentioned above it seems to return to zero but its quite an agrrevation after calling 2 or 3 stands and look down and your windage is showing 8 instead of zero.
unsure.gif

I am just glad that the scope has great tracking and does return to zero. Right before I came back to Iraq from leave, I went up to my dad's property with a friend of mine. I brought my coyote rig to show him and he brought up his snowmobiles so that we could go and check his game cameras. Well after all of the bouncing around on my back I looked down at my turrets and they were all over the place as far as number wise. I was pissed. The bad thing was that I had no idea which way they were turning and just had to make a guess. I rode down to my dad's range and luckily I guessed which way they had gone and verified my zero with three shots.
I am actually thinking about gluing the dang things in place so that it at least slows down the turning. I love the scope though and as soon as I get home I am going to get a chrono and see what my 16in barrell is doing so that i can match up the proper magnification using the spot on technology and then test it out.

Well I am glad there are others that have this same problem and it is not just me. Other than the turret problems, I like this scope, Thanks

Funny thing, I have two of these scopes now and only one shows this problem, I spoke to Nikon about it yesterday and they said they will call me back to discuss the issue in detail. I am really impressed by these scopes.

I am looking at buying one of these. I dont really want to have to deal with that though. When they call back, ask them if they have fixed the issue with the current scopes being made.

any word back from Nikon or a possible solution? i am looking at buying one - but the turret turning in truck/hiking has me hesitating. i am on the fence on getting the m223 or regular nikon monarch. Would u guys buys the m223 scope again?

Dang it dang it dang it. Was just practicing mounting my new kill light in my living room, went to put my gun away and noticed it was off zero again. Not a big deal until when I turned the knob it didn't click. The turret was raised when bumped. These turrets are really starting to p ss me off. Soon as I can get to the range I am electrical taping them as well. This scope was simply a poor choice. I wish I could switch the turrets to normal covered ones.

Originally Posted By: kurt1011any word back from Nikon or a possible solution? i am looking at buying one - but the turret turning in truck/hiking has me hesitating. i am on the fence on getting the m223 or regular nikon monarch. Would u guys buys the m223 scope again?

Yep. I now own three. I love the way the turrets work, but they will move like mentioned above.

yep pretty much sucks.....talked to our nikon rep and he says he knows of no solution in the works.....gonna sell mine and put something diffrent on it..... i work hard and invest a lot of time and money into my hunting and dont want to be second guessing my scope in the moment of truth....only plus to this scope is i always have an excusse when i miss

Isn't there a nikon prostaffer on here? I'm thinking of buying one, but was hoping there was going to be an update of the scope for 2012. I am seeing new Nikon scopes in mags and online but not on Nikons website.

I was comparing the turrets of these Nikons to some others in Gouger Mtn a few months ago and found them too easy to turn...said to myself..."there is no way I would put this on my rig". Why introduce another variable to worry about? We owe it to the critters we hunt to be able to put the rounds where they need to be.

Smart move on your part dlj6, the ar is a tough rifle and deserves a tough scope. Maybe I can find someone with a good trade for mine after calling competitions are over this season. Or maybe send it back to Nikon if they could switch them, still don't know if that's possible.

Does this all mean I should look at the Leupold Mark AR instead of the Nikon version for my AR? If the turrents on the Leupold are better I can look past having to remove the caps for the hunt and putting them back on when finished.

Just a trick I learned. When, I sight in a scope. I trim a piece of white first aid tape and stick it to the turret over the slash marks. I use a water proof pen to mark zero @100yds. Then shoot 200yds and mark the tape. Get the idea. You can do the same thing to windage. If they get moved, you will see it and it is easy to set back to zero.

Back