Tips on howling with a diaphragm call?

cityslicker

I picked up a couple of diaphragm calls from cookstaxi the other day and have been practicing a little. The distress call is fairly easy, but the howler I'm having a little trouble consistently producing good howls. Can some of you more experienced callers give me some tips?

Howls are trickier for me too. I have to position the diaphragm further back on my tongue and apply more tongue pressure and more air than the distress call. Try making some loud barks. Just apply a bunch of pressure and air. Once you get that, you can feel what it takes for tongue pressure and position. Took me a while to get the sounds I wanted from a diaphragm call, but worth the effort. Definitely my most versatile calls. Practice will make it happen for you.

Just reread your question. Since you are already getting a howl, just try to keep your tongue pressure constant. You'll get it with a little time.

Last edited:
It is easy as "howling" like a coyote imo.
A tad more pressure on the back of the tounge and put yourself into a coyotes skin and Huuuhooooooo.
Ive used diaphragm calls for 30 yrs at least and think they are the most versitile items for coyotes & other game.

It takes some practice sometimes... Sometimes it takes alot! Holler at us anytime if we can help ya. Torry can prolly pin down exactly what you need to do in just one phone call.

Last edited:
I think I'm just going to listen to some howls on Foxpro's site and try my best to mimic what I hear, which is what Torry recommended. Hopefully I won't have to bother y'all too much
cool.gif

Alright, I figured out what I was doing wrong. I had the call too far back in my mouth so I moved it forward a bit and was able to consistently howl. I just need to practice by listening to some good howling and try to replicate it. I also learned how to do pup distress as well. I now see why these calls are recommended, the sound is amazing.

Yeah its all about where its comfortable for each individual. I personally like the call sitting back in my mouth where the front edge is about even with my second and third molars... Minus the wisdom teeth as I have proven that I been missing those for a long time!! Lol
smile.gif

I been using diaphrams for turkey for almost twenty years and just placed an order with Torry for some of these calls. What I have seen and heard on YouTube, they are really versatile with unmatched realism!!! Even the old power howlers can't edge these diaphrams

Back