22 mag scope

I don't have the caliber specific one, but I do have a Cabelas 3-9x40 rimfire. Very nice glass, realistically. It also has a fine x-hair which is very nice for small targets. The best part? It was a bargain cave find for $53! Money well spent.

Without the ability to calibrate the scope to your specific cartridge, and I mean whether it's a 30 gr or 50 gr bullet, it seems gimicky. I have shot many rounds out of my .22 mag and the drop difference between a 30gr Hornady and a 50gr Federal is approx 4-5 inches at 100 yards. I think it's just as important to spend a lot of shooting time with a rimfire gun to learn holdover for the cartridge you are using.

I tried shooting some 200 yard groups with my .22 mag this weekend. The drop difference between 100-200 yards with the 30 gr Hornadys was around 18 inches. Now it will be even more with the heavier rounds. A compensated reticle is only as good as your ability to judge or measure distance. And with a rimfire the drops are such that you would need to be pretty accurate.

IMO shooting time will help out more on a rimfire than any reticle.

Last edited:
Most Cabelas optics are junk. They only have a one year warranty and they stick to it. I paid $350 for a pair of their binoculars back in 2001. They were Cabelas top binos at the time. About 18 months later give or take they fogged on me while hunting in a light rain. I called Cabelas to get a return label and they told me the binos were no longer under warranty. They also told me that all Cabelas glass just carried a one year guarantee. I think a couple of the higher end optics now are lifetime but not many. Don't be a dummy like me and assume Cabelas will stand behind their glass because they won't.

Back