New car blues

woodcock

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I bought a 2005 Monti carlo out of a show room in mid November. Do any of you have one? I have never owned a car I love so much but it's been a full time job keeping it clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif I wash and wax it, then the wife takes it to the store a mile away, I go out and it looks like someone dumped white paint on it (salt spray). I vaccum it out and wash the interior. Two days later it looks like she opened the door and shoveled a 1/2 a yard of sand in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just about broke down in tears last night when I found gum stuck to the carpet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif . I'm on the verg of buying a junker and tell my wife "thats it, she's go'n up on blocks". It's like driving a brand new "69 Chevelle". What a little sweetheart. Dark blue metal flake with a purplish blue flake on all the lines. When I was a kid, Billy gray hade some nice cars. I remember his roadrunner superbee. He'd come down and pick up his girl friend next door. She'de come out in a fluffy dress and high heels, Billy would open the door for her and say "take your shoes off"! That would be my next step! :rolleyes: My car is just the LS. If I ever buy the SS version it will go up on blocks as soon as the first snowflake falls! Thanks for listening to my ravings guy's.
joe

If I can't throw a dead fox in the back seat of my car, I don't want it.

I just can't understand you guys who are fanatics about keeping a car clean. I guess it's just not in me.

But, good for you. I'm sure she's a beaut.

Randy

I feel your pain brutha! I bought a new truck this year and while I do use it, I don't abuse it and try to keep it looking pretty sharp. My problem is the two miles of gravel road my farm is on. In the summer it's like the Dust Bowl, during the fall rains, winter snow, and spring rains, it's a gummy mess. Sure makes those 20" chrome wheels high maintenence!

Score each 1-10

CAR WIFE
How good looking? _____ ____

Cost of maintenance? _____ ____

How useful? _____ ____

Hmmmm

bought my first ever new 4x4 F150 last year. I had it a hot 20 min when some one banged the door and put a dent in it.Since then I have treated it like my old truck.........If it can't take the pain I don't need it around. I got the truck to go through mud, snow, pucker bush, off road and no road.So once I "let go" of the paint job and let the truck do what it was designed to do we were both better off.
I think your going to have hard time in your neck of the woods in winter keeping your new ride show room clean!
Good luck

Woodcock,
I feel your pain. I used to have a 1969 Mustang Mach 1. The baby was cherry and I would park it in the back 40 at the Mall. Traded it across the board for an almost new 1983 Chevy Citation family car when my oldest daughter was born!! I cried the day it went away and still long for that car when I look at it's photo in the album. But, it was only a car. My photo album has one picture of a car and many of the family. Priorities brother, priorities! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, stuff happens. Cars can be replaced. Get your money's worth out of it and use the thing. Yes it sucks when you get door dings and scuffs in a new car but the sooner you can accept it and get over it the sooner you can worry about more impotant things. It aint like your wife backed it into a pole or slid into a wall.

Did you buy the car to drive and use or to just sit in a garage?

Of course if it was a truck it might be another matter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

On New Years Day, I bought a new Chevy crew cab 4x4. What do I do but take it hunting in the pasture. Got it muddy, bloody and scratched on the 1st outting. Went ahead and got the crying over with. Now its just a $30,000+ hunting rig.

Bought my last new truck in July of 1995, in August I took my dad, uncle and cousin fishing down on the Glover river. Had so many scratches on it I almost forgot what color it was by the time we found our camping spot but they buffed out, well all but two. The memories made with that truck are more valuable than the truck itself. Like Bob said, "it's just a $23,000.00 hunting truck".

The alimony and child support will cost you more anyway!

Back some time ago I would buy an 1100 Suzuki every 4 years. Riding bikes got old for me and I just give it up. The last one I had was a GSXR 1100. I polished more than I drove it. One day, it was out in the street and it was getting dark, I went out and pushed it a little and jumped on sidesadle in neutral. When I got to ware I wanted to be I eased the front break on and dumped it because of the wet dewy grass. Scratched the cowling all up. cracked the timing cover and bent the shifting lever. After that I treat that bike like somebody else owned it. I beat the liv'n tar out of it. Never changed the oil. The rear chain never seen anouther drop of grease.
So I'm not exactly foreign to the idea of "just get it over with" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Sence then we've been buying blazers. I can't stand'm but she had to have 4 wheel drive. I would'nt think twice about shoving a 4 point buck in the back seat but there would be hell to pay. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif We almost did'nt get the Monti cause she got cold feet the night before signed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif But now she loves it. It goes thru the snow great I just have to plow the driveway. To me, it a compromize between an 1100 suzuki and a blazer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I saw the other day my grandchild baby chair almost wore thru the cloth seat in the back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Woodcock: It's the first dent that hurts the worst.

As for the car seat tearing up the upholstry: Get some of those rubber mesh no-slip shelf liners or tool box liners and put that under the seat along with a towel.

I got a 2005 Dodge 3/4 ton 4wd, 4 door long bed, cummins you know the steak with all the trimins' except leather, I broke the cd player :eek: so took it in and they checked it out and ordered me a new one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif then 2 days later I was washing it and noticed scratches across the hood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I took it back to the service dept and said " #$$%^&&**#*@!!! " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif with a few other things !! and they had it buffed out for me, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif the truck didnt have 2000 miles on it yet, and I know it had to happen there!! I feel your pain on the new vehicle thing, sometimes I wonder if it is worth it!! should have kept the old one I think!!

You guys make me glad for my 1986 Honda with 180,000 miles on it. I'm going to try to get two more years out of it before it goes to the junkyard.

To each their own is what I live by.
I like for my truck to look and run good but I ain't gonna let that effect the way I use it. I can fix or replace anything I break in the process of enjoying my ride. I plan to replace the carpet soon cause it sure has taken a beating over the season. Anyways, I love my Ram.

I just invited the boston bruins to come practice in my dooryard. It's a skating rink! You can wash your car in febuary, you just gotta go really fast /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh ya! And move it after so the wheels don't freeze to the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

And oh ya! windex freezes. I did'nt know windex will freeze? I thought it had alchol in it. I use windex to clean the interior besides the windows. Once I cleaned the Blazer with armorall, you know, the plactic dash? It took some sort of clear coating off. Scaled right up. I ain't using that stuff no more.

The car got onstar, came with the deal! It's got a track phone built right in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've had the car for 2 1/2 months and findlly tried it. Works good considering the cell tower 60 miles away.

I drive only old junkers, and have them fixed when they break down.

New cars and trucks lose 60% of their value in the first 4 years, and represent one of the worst financial investments that exit. 95% of all people who finance new cars or trucks for 4 or more years end up at some point during the loan owing more for them than they are worth on the market. So when they go to sell them, they end up having to write a check for the difference. Talk about an expensive "rental".

I found all this out the hard way...by making the mistake twice.

TNred; I don't know if you now this song by the Rasberrys but I'll sing any way....Drive'n around
Long hot days, we'll be catch'n the rays...Long hot days, we'll be catch'n the rays.....You know my tapedeck is blast'n my cars fast......drive'n around.

My wife just took the car over to my son's house.She told me when she left that "I'm gonna dirty it" :eek:

When I was growing up, in the 1970s in suburbia, my dad made me help him wash the cars (we didn't have a truck) almost every week. We washed and towel-dried them on the outside. Washed the tires and rims with a brush. Vacuumed the inside, and then used Armour All. Washed the windows on the inside with Windex. Waxed the outside, rims and all, once every two months. You name it...

When I got out on my own and finally got a truck, I found I just didn't care to wash it. It's a piece of steel to me, and I use it to get me to work and to the woods, and a few other places. About twice a year, when it hasn't rained for a while and the bird poop has turned it from green to white, my wife will run it through the car wash at the Shell gas station. And my son, who's just learning to drive, has hit two different fence posts on our farm and put some nasty dents and scratches in the truck (fence posts were fine). But since it's an old grunt truck, who cares? Doesn't bother me a bit, like it would if it were brand new and I had a $25,000 loan on it.

I keep it well-maintained mechanically, but it's just not worth my time to wash it. It's a 1997 Ford F-150 with 155,000 miles, I bought it 3 years ago, and it's been paid-for since one year after I bought it. If things work out like I plan, I'll get 300,000 miles out of it. Then I'll buy another 4-year-old truck, and start the process all over again.

Honestly, cars and trucks are like a hole in which we are forced to throw money. The way to lose the least amount of money on them is to buy ones that are at least 4 years old. That way, somebody else has taken the huge depreciation hit. And you can afford to easily buy it for cash, and not pay interest (i.e. stupid tax). And the insurance is much cheaper. I've done this for the past several years, and have gotten at least 300,000 miles out of every one. I got 450,000 miles out of one. Never replaced an engine or transmission, yet.

on 9/25/04 pick me up a 2004 ford f150 super cab fx4 off road 4by4 $35.000 on 10/1 some kid screwing off in a ford tarus hauling but in parking lot reared me truck 1 car 0 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif totaled car truck needed new bumper just get yourself a ford truck and call it done /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back