Stevens 200 or Savage Axis in .223?

mulegunner

I am looking to get a .223 for coyote hunting and I have kinda settled on getting a Stevens 200 or Savage Axis. My gun shop has the Axis with the scope on hand for $330...from what I have seen and handled it is a really nice rifle for the dollars. However, Ive been reading that the Stevens 200 is a great rifle for the buck. The store doesn't have a 200 in stock so I would have to order it in. What is the thoughts of you folks on the choice?

Thanks for the help!

The only thing that you might want to plan on in the future is a trigger upgrade...Otherwise, they are generally great shooting rifles..

+2 for the Stevens. I have one in 223 and really like it. I did have my smith give it a trigger job. Shot good before the trigger job, now it shoots great.

I would go with the Stevens as well. I have one in .223 and love it but I also purchased an Axis last week and am picking it up today for the wife. Figured $315 for a package deal in .22-250 wasnt bad. They are both fine rifles and either one will get the job done. When I was looking at getting her a .22-250 I wanted another Stevens but my dealers supplier doesnt have anymore and said they are being fazed out. Dont know if there is any truth to it or not but could be with the Axis being out.

If price is equal the stevens will have more aftermarket support. Barrels are the same, caliber change is easy with either. The axis gets the nod since the same action can be used long or short. I wouldnt use a package scope, junk imo. For 150 or less you can get good glass. Save the money on the bare rifle and put the difference to optics.

Ive got both in 25-06, the axis easily is the better shooter. But 2 different guns yada yada yada.

Originally Posted By: mulegunnerI am looking to get a .223 for coyote hunting and I have kinda settled on getting a Stevens 200 or Savage Axis. My gun shop has the Axis with the scope on hand for $330...from what I have seen and handled it is a really nice rifle for the dollars. However, Ive been reading that the Stevens 200 is a great rifle for the buck. The store doesn't have a 200 in stock so I would have to order it in. What is the thoughts of you folks on the choice?

Thanks for the help!

Either one is a shooter out of the box.

I have a 200 in .243. Replaced the trigger with a SAV2 from Riflebasix.($150)

I have an Axis in .223. Modified trigger as noted on this board. Got it down from 6# to just under 4.5#. I just replaced the trigger with a SAV1 from Rfilebasix ($89) now down to 2.5#

Both well made. If you want to do a caliber conversion, you can go from short to long on the Axis, as they are all built on the LA with spacers to reduce the DBM to the correct size (that what it looks like to me). For the Stevens, you'll be able to only stay in the short action calibers.

More after market stuff for the Stevens. I also heard the Stevens were being phased out.

I was just asking myself this same question. I went Stevens cause right now there is more aftermarket parts and I already had a rifle basix trigger. I didn't like the way the stock felt on the Axis and didn't care for the magazine either.

I just picked up a Axis in 223, the scoped package. My first thoughts on these is they are cheap made and would be a POS. Well after I actually looked at one and held it at the dealer I liked how it felt how the bolt worked and how it shouldered so I bought it. 1st thing I did was get rid of the Bushnell that was on it and replaced it with a Tasco Varmint 2.5-10x42 scope...I know not a real good scope but I had it here and like it, and it's always held zero for me so I went with it. Went to the range yesterday with the gun after I cleaned it, and started to sight in, at 50 yards I was about 12" left and a tad low after adjusting the scope I was in the bullseye every shot then went back to 100 yards. I switched to the target that comes in all the paperwork with the rifle and shot 2 shots and the were in the bullseye, I then adjusted again 6 clicks up and shot 2 three shot groups all of which 1 were touching each other at about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 high and 1 being a flyer to the right which was me not the gun. All this was done off a not so great bench buddy and in a hurry, 20 mins tops I was there, I would say this is a great gun at a cheap price and would not think twice about buying another. But then again I am guessing the Stevens would probably have the same results at a good price too, and like said above there are more options for the Stevens if you want to change something on it. Either way ya can't go wrong IMO.

First rifle i got was a Savage (EDGE). That sun of a gun would out shoot rifles costing 10 times as much in a heart beat. I got same story( It's a cheap pile of junk). But when the shots when down range the whole story changed.

Nice shooting.Now do what i do..Bring some peanut butter smear it on target and wait for the flys to come. It's a blast

Eclipse I think your group there is a fluke! Oh and if its not a five shot one the it don't count! But if it is well then you need a 10 round group! Oh and its a savage and it don't have a NF on it and didn't cost you 5000 bucks, no custom barrel! You better take that pic down your going to make the remmy boys mad!
thumbup.gif

Nice shooting for $500 setup! To the op as others have said if you wanna change the stock go for the 200 if you don't the I say go for the axis!

Wow thank you everyone for the input....I think I will go ahead with the Axis...get some new glass for it and keep my eyes on the used racks for a Stevens 200!

Back