nightforce

1234a

A while back I asked the guys here if I would be happy with the purchase of my nightforce, well after shooting it in my buddies sandpit and spinning the turrets up down and everywhere in between it never failed to return to zero, I was also concerned that the exposed turrets would get bumped but after using it I don't think that would happen very easily. So all in all very happy with my choice

Originally Posted By: 1up5downFigured you would like it. They are tough as nails. Descent glass as well.

Dave

Would have to agree

What are the specs? Reticle? Turrets?

NF is the cheapest excellent scope you can get. Welcome aboard! I give it a year before you're after a Bender or Premier!

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSI am about to purchase my first nightforce and am pertty pumped about it.

You'll be more than happy with it I'm sure. What model are you getting?

Dave

Originally Posted By: turbo54What are the specs? Reticle? Turrets?

NF is the cheapest excellent scope you can get. Welcome aboard! I give it a year before you're after a Bender or Premier!

Bold statement, I'd have to disagree

Glad you like your Nightforce 1234a. I am the odd man out here I reckon. I too drank the koolade last year and bought a $1500 NF. From the day I opened the box I was not impressed with the scope. I have a half dozen scopes that cost a small fraction of what the NXS costed that have clearer glass. It took me 4 different tries to focus the reticle following the factory directions to the letter each time. I never did achieve that crisp black line. Then I read that the illuminator requires diassembly of the scope and tools to adjust the rheostat intensity. Really! I called Nightforce and asked about this. Their answer was that the factory setting is sufficient for most eyes and light conditions. Double Really! Pretty arrogant that they would even try to blow that smoke up my pants leg.
Now the scope was sure enough tough and sure enough tracked perfectly. It well should for $1500 but there are literally dozens of scopes that meet this criteria for 1/3 of that money.
I'll likely get flamed for this next statement but it is what I truly believe from personal experience. My opinion is that the Nightforce scopes are good. Not worth half what they charge for them though. Not if you compare them side by side feature for feature to a Vortex Viper PST which cost almost exactly half as much. I have had both and put a lot of rounds down range under them both. The NF got sold as soon as I saw that the PST was the better equipment. JMHO

Originally Posted By: 1up5downOriginally Posted By: BOBTAILSI am about to purchase my first nightforce and am pertty pumped about it.

You'll be more than happy with it I'm sure. What model are you getting?

Dave

I am sending off funds tomorrow for a 5.5-22x50 with a NP-R2 reticule. I am also getting a set of med height nightforce rings. It will sit atop my 243 AI .

I had a 12-42x56 NXS with the NPR-2 reticle. I liked that one the best. Best thing about my scope was I sold it for almost $250 more than I paid new.
thumbup.gif

Dave

Very nice. I bought this one off of snipershide, not a mark on it with a set of nightforce rings for $1450 shipped and insured.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSVery nice. I bought this one off of snipershide, not a mark on it with a set of nightforce rings for $1450 shipped and insured.

That's not a bad price. Mine was the older version. No high speed turrets or Zero Stop. Paid $1200 and sold for $1450 on fleabay.

Dave

I guess me and Meat Hunter will have to take our licks together. I think they may be great scopes, just highly over-rated for the money. I to have a hard time getting them to focus clearly enough to be overwhelmed by the glass. If I was in a combat situation where ruggedness was a must, maybe then. I'm a shooter/hunter and I find less costly scopes will service me just as well and I still have a few dollars left over.

Last edited:
Well i will have to get the lumps too i have a nf 5.5-22x56 nxs i thought it was really great. Until yesturday i got my new ior valdada 3-18x42 the glass in it far sharper than the nf now i will have to see if the ior lasts like the nf my thoughts are if these cheaper scopes are getting better glass to look through nf better start to do the same just my thoughts on it

i c a couple of ya aren't enthused with the quality of glass NF offers... the glass is "good" but not "great" but what NF scopes offer is the rugged ability to return to zero after massive use and mil/moa turret adjustments... i personally own a few NXS's and have great success with the NF turret system, and i don't complain about the glass, until i get my PMII w/ the H37 for my 338NM!!!

Back