coyote snaring over a deer carcass

lukeyn

Dad shot a doe over the weekend so we butchered her up and put the remains.out in a remote.spot. I put a.trail.cam there.as.well. how often should.I check this spot

just one deer gut pile will last only a few days once the coyotes find it... i would suggest putting it in a plumb thicket or very dense area so you can find the trails leading up to the carcass... try to set your snares back a ways from the actual dead pile.... one of my favorite ways to do it is find a creek that has some eroded cattle trails coming down and baiting right in the bottom so the coyotes are pretty much forced to use the trails to get to it... works really well

you can see the eroded trail in the lower lefthand corner of the photo below...

jan9001.jpg

Last edited:
We aren't allowed to use deer as a bait. You might check to make sure it's legal.
If it's legal I would put my snares in the same time I threw out the bait.

1/8" cable and they can't chew through it. Put a cable runner on the ground to attach the snare to with a slide lock on it like u use on a drowner rig to get him away from anything that he can get tangled in, and add a stop to the loop so it don't choak them, and he will be sitting on the catch circle waiting for you in the morning.

Checked the bait today, nothings came. In this area there are not much coyotes.

I will move the bait pile to a denser area. We are going to put all the carcasses from skinning in the same pile too.

I would do what ks said. The snares need to be put in immediately as the coyotes will take care of that pile pretty quickly once they find it.

is this pile total covered? if not, what your doing is illegal, its concided a flesh bait and must be totally covered. I would be very careful with what you post on here, I know of a couple WO that hangs out here
wink.gif
and would hate to see you get in trouble over a coyote.

I've seen coyotes down here take care of a gut pile from a cow elk in one night. I dressed her where she fell and the next day there was nothing left.

Back