Rock River .223

jldoll

I am thinking about purchasing an AR. RockRiver A4 varmint, 24 inch bull barrel, in a .223
the extra weight of the barrel is not a problem.
Question is-- Witch is better for coyote hunting and accuracy.
The 1:8 twist barrel or The 1:12 twist barrel
Most of my shots will be 100 yd's to 250 yd's
I like the hornady v-max 55 gr. 58 gr. But can go bigger.
Any advice????????? Jerry

I agree, Also agree that the RRA Coyote Carbine would be perfect or any 16" 1/9 or faster using 60gr and 55gr if your distance is max at 250. The 24" I had the Barrel alone was 4 lbs, Thats why I hunt with a 20 Coyote and 16" 6lb with a aimpoint. Red-dot optics for Varmint are the best optics in my opion bc of the fast target acusition and they are actually a lot less expensive than most noce Mounts with a Decent Scope

If your only hunting from a stand, you could tolerate the extra weight and gain some stability at long range. I believe I would opt for the 20 inch Coyote rifle since the 16 inch is louder, and I prefer not to give up the higher velocity. If your budget allows, you could have separate uppers to cover any situation.

I use the 60 grain V-max in my 1/8 twist for just about everything. It's the most accurate bullet that I have found in 4 years of trying everything I could get my hands on.

I have the 24 inch RRA A4 Varminter, and it is well suited to taking P-Dogs, jackrabbits, badger, and the occasional careless coyote. At 12.5 pounds, it is not well suited as a walk-about rifle, but it can be stunningly accurate with the right loads.

100_0563.jpg
60grainV-Max.jpg
100_0557.jpg

I would get a 1-9 or faster. Packin that beast will wear you out I have a dmps 20in that weights 11.2 pounds,I pack it but it will get your shoulder, I opted to get a rra predator pursuit 16in to lighten the load.

1-8" is the only way to go in my opinion. I have that exact rifle and have great groupings out of 40, 50, and 55gr. V-maxes. I have a box of 60's I'm going to try this summer, seems most people find they shoot great too. My RRA A4 varmint is way more accurate than I am. I suggest a comfortable padded sling. I carry mine varminting and cover a lot of ground on foot. It gets heavy pretty quick at 14.5lbs scoped and loaded
tongue_smilie.gif

I think the 20" RRA Predator Pursuit would be near perfection for what you are wanting to do. Also, I can't think of a good reason not to go with the 1:8 twist.

Originally Posted By: kycountryboyI would get a 1-9 or faster. Packin that beast will wear you out I have a dmps 20in that weights 11.2 pounds,I pack it but it will get your shoulder, I opted to get a rra predator pursuit 16in to lighten the load.

I agree with everything said here, I bought a bushy varminter thinking the same thing until we did several stands with several miles of hiking involved in ten inches of snow. Now the 24" barrel stays in the safe except for P-doggin. It will shoot hella tight groups, but I take my other rifles out as much as anything now. As soon as I put an optic on my M4 it will be my calling gun. I think a 20" barrel would be plenty long, and a 1-8 twist would open up your bullet options, personally I don't shoot anything over 55 gr though. But, I have a 243 that can shoot 75 grainers as another option though.

I have the exact rifle you described... Rock River Varmint, 24" bull in 1:8 twist.

Definitely go with the fast twist. Mine shoots Sierra 60gr Varminters with sub 1/2 MOA accuracy.

As several people have already commented, this is not a light weight rig. However, I personally don't mind the extra weight and I'm only 5'7", 155 lbs. I have made shots at running coyotes with it out to 150 yds without any problem and don't think the extra weight adversely affects handling, at least for me.

Thanks for all your idea's. They have given me a lot to think about.
I should say I am 60 years young. And I don't have any trouble carring a heavy rifle 'Now' But in ten years I think I will.
I am going with a RRA 20" coyote carbine or the Predator pursuit 1:8 twist
One of the first things I am going to try is the 60 gr v-max
Thanks again for the imformation Jerry

I have that exact rifle too. I think mine is 1/9 twist thought. Im not sure. It does shoot the 53 gr superformance great though. It does 1/4 in ctc at 50 yards. I havent shot it on paper farther but plan to this weekend. I took a yote at about 130 yards and the 53 gr vmax done great.
The weight of the heavy barrel does not bother me even walking around.
Daryl P.

The long barrel is not gonna be more accurate than the 16" barrel but will be faster by maybe 200 fps. Out to only 250 yards the speed won't matter much. Go with the 1-8" unless you want to shoot the 35-40gr bullets.

Originally Posted By: cedarcreekcoonerI have a 16 in coyote carbine and just ordered a 20in predator pursuit.

How do you like the carbine?

I have a RRA varminter 24" stainless bbl. 1-8 twist. It has been very accurate with any of my reload bullet, charge combos. Currently I have been shooting 77 grain sierra HPBT with a charge of 23.5 grains of Benchmark. This rifle is the best one that I have as far as accuracy goes. Heavy as all get out, but I do not pack it.

Back