Two more down!

Rob424

It's been a great year so far. I've been out only twice this year when we haven't taken something home.
I was going to take off a few days next week to do a little night hunting but do to the big melt, I figured I better get out there before the weekend if I'm going to have a chance at anything.

I got an hour of sleep and headed out around 9 P.M. I only got in 3 sets last night but I think I drove by or got out and then had to get back in the truck at 12 because I couldn't see.

1st set was a spot we've had for a few years but never had any luck at. I set the decoy and caller about 100 yards East of my truck and then set up another 80 yards NW of it along a tree line. The wind was swirling a bit but thought I could pull it off anyway. Besides, I was tired of driving around and was bound and determined to make a stand. I let it settle down a bit and started in with distress on low volume. I did this a couple times and sat and watched. The phone started vibrating as it was my daughter telling me she just made it back to college safely. She was supposed to be hunting with me last night but had to go back for work. I said goodbye and looked to my left and here one comes from the North. It was about 130 yards out when I saw it but as I was moving the gun into position it either heard the bipods in the snow or smelled something it didn't like and bugged out. It was running straight away as I got on her and when she stopped to look back at 170 yards I squeezed one off and she crumbled right there. I put on pup distress for a bit but nothing else showed.
Big female.
1-5-12Dads1011006.jpg

2nd spot looked real good but some fog started rolling in and had to cut it short. I'll try that one next moon.

3rd set was a spot we picked up last year but never saw anything at. I walked behind the farm buildings to the field and saw there was plenty of snow in the East field and the field to the North was getting a little bare. He had 3 gravity boxes sitting in the perfect spot to cover both fields and I would be able to set up in the shadow of them as well.
I was just about to set out the caller and decoy when I heard some howling a ways to the North. Then another pack lit up South about a mile. I was standing there when two started in right across the street from me. I stayed behind the boxes and quickly put out my decoy and caller and scrambled back to set up as they quieted down. I let it settle for a bit then started with some quiet distress. I started low and ramped up quickly,then shut it off. I looked around to the North and saw him coming in hard from across the street. I started to settle in on it when it stopped but just then it bolted but stopped agian 30 yards farther. I shot and it took off but looked to have it's head down as it ran. After a short tracking job I found him piled up. It was around 2 A.M. when I got back to the house and didn't have it in me for another set so I callled it a night. I'll be back at it tonight if I can find some snow or I'll to settle on the shotgun. Good luck to everyone heading out.
Rob
1-5-12Dads1011013.jpg

1-5-12Dads1011014.jpg

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome job, I just walked back in the door from the first time out this year. The weather was disgusting, it was almost 50 degrees when I headed out, but I had the day off and nothing else to do. No luck.

Awesome night, Rob... I wish we had some snow around here, it's a huge bummer not being able to hunt this moon... glad to hear you're having some good action

Way to put it to em Rob! 170 yards with that 17 and you are able to put them down - sounds like some Nice Shooting!

What type of AR is that? I'm leaning toward an AR and trying to decide if a 17 is enough power for around here - Amery area. Seems like you are certainly not having a problem with it!
Thanks.

greenmountainboy,
All but one of the coyotes shot this year were shot under moonlight only with no lights. One came about 20 minutes before dark.
Rob

Way to go! We are finally getting some snow here in east central MN. Plan to hit it hard this week. I always enjoy your stories and pictures.

Back