does anyone here use a 308 for coyotes

brramer

I searched the forum but I didn't find anything on the subject of what ammo do you use that does the least amount of damage to a coyote. I may want to save a hide someday.

thanks

Originally Posted By: brramerI searched the forum but I didn't find anything on the subject of what ammo do you use that does the least amount of damage to a coyote. I may want to save a hide someday.
thanks

Use a stoutly constructed big game bullet and stay off the spine, shoulder, and major leg bones. Hit bone and you better invest in a good needle for sewing holes.

" Hit bone and you better invest in a good needle for sewing holes. "

+ 1
thumbup1.gif

sure do, i use a 7.62 quite often, using 175SMK's only had to leave one coyote layin cause the pill tore it up to bad, great gun fun to shoot.

Generally speaking many do not consider FMJ's as suitable hunting bullets. FMJ's are not legal in many states for hunting use; they pose a safety hazard as they are prone to ricochet, if they strike bone they can tumble and rip hellacious big holes, or if you miss bone a slick hole in and out leaves critters enough moxie to cover distances as to make recovery a really difficult effort, and usually aren’t the most accurate bullet available.

My cousin shot a coyote this year at deer camp with his 308. 150 grain federal power-shok. 308 in 308 out. To be honest I did not expect to see so little damage as compared to my 223 with hollow points. In fact I got my deer this year with the same round in my 308, it was the same thing, 308 in 308 out.

t/c223encore.

My Buddy loads 150 grain Nosler Ballistic tips for my .308 and 300 whisper. Both calibers creat horrible wound channels on Deer size animals. I don't think I will use either on a coyote. I'll stay with the .223

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: t/c223encoreMy cousin shot a coyote this year at deer camp with his 308. 150 grain federal power-shok. 308 in 308 out. To be honest I did not expect to see so little damage as compared to my 223 with hollow points. In fact I got my deer this year with the same round in my 308, it was the same thing, 308 in 308 out.

t/c223encore.

Haven't shot a deer or coyote with this load yet, but it only costs $13.97 per box at Wally World and groups into .5-in. in my LTR. I've heard nothing but great reports on accuracy with this and most other PowerShok loads...

168 smks here with some 4064 at about 2800. punch the ribs its just single hole. but like mentioned you hit shoulder and its gonna blow out the other side. also has alot to do with range. a big heavy thich hide hunting bullet might work. as a light skinned coyote wont offer much resistance and wont expand at all. but if your worried about hides i would not use any .30 or above a .25 for that matter

I have worked up a load with the 110 VMAX that will more than likely work... however with a bit of mess. That being said, I think that the 155, 168 and 178 even 208 AMAX might be the best bet. I have used the 168 SMK too, but hitting bone and saving the pelt can be dicy. Actually saving the pelt and any of the aforementioned can be dicy. Just stay away form heavy bone. Maybe a Barnes would work even better.

My 308 is all I use. I have never had a problem with destroying the hide and I use what ever 308 round I have laying around form deer season or what is the cheapest at the store.

Back