Where are all the Coyotes?

andrew

I just got back from a trip from Sacramento, Ca to Caldwell, Id. Most of the driving through Nevada and oregon showed me prairies of sage brush and rocky dessert canyons as far as the eye can see. I saw a few dead coyotes on the side of the road but not one single live one. What gives?

Andrew . for every dead one you saw there are 500 live ones you didnt . he . he . Sometimes you just dont see them . they travel accross the highways at night . or early morning . thats the best time to see one . and most of the time if they arent just standing on a hill or in a field mousing , all your going to see is eyes . or tail going the other way . I live in eastern wash . desert country , believe me they ARE there . Jerry .

------------------
If you call them they will come-- FOX PRO.

andrew,
Glad to see you are still around and kicking. My son and I went out scouting in his antelope area weekend before last, and saw 4 coyotes. Took shots at 2 of those, but failed to connect. I think I figured out what is wrong with my gun, other than the fact that I'm the one shooting it. Anyway, the coyotes are out there. It has been so blasted hot around here lately, that I think they are only moving after the sun is down and it has cooled off some. We were up north of Winnemuca, Nv. scouting, so I'm sure we probably saw the same dead dogs on the freeway. Let me know if you are still interested in coming over this fall/winter and doing some calling. I know they are still out there.

Did you walk through or drive by the sagebrush? LOL
biggrin.gif
They can be real ghosts sometimes.

Seriously though, as warm as it's been, they ain't out and about as much during the day like they are in the fall and winter.

Carl,
I am still here, but just dont post too much lately. I drove through Winnemucca on my trip. It seems like the only thing to do in those cities is gamble and hunt predators. I am very interested in hunting predators out there with you as soon as it cools off a bit. Drop me a line at my e-mail when you think it would be best to go.

------------------

andrew,
I need to get your e-mail address from you.
I was also going to tell you that when we were scouting for antelope, one of those coyotes we saw was out on a dry lake bed with a small herd of antelope that were trying to haze him away from them. When we first saw him, we thought he had killed a fawn antelope since he was dragging/carrying something across the lake bed. When I shot at him, he dropped it and kicked it into that special gear that running coyotes have. We drove out to where that coyote had dropped what it was hauling away, and found he had apprently just killed a big canadian goose. Left the goose figuring he would be back for it later that evening.
I'm just waiting for the weather to cool off some then we will get this calling back on track. Working nights right now, and have noticed the past few nights that it has been fairly chilly while driving home at midnight.
So, maybe some night calling is not to far away.
Anyway, if you would, please get me your
e-mail address okay.
Thanks, Carl

Back