Already have a .223, what's the next best factory available caliber?

Originally Posted By: tedhunterthe bigboy AR's are more of a reloaders arena and there is considerable expense to getting them up and running.

I would politely disagree. If you keep an eye out for the sales, often you can get a .450 Bushmaster upper for around $550.00 or so, and factory ammo is often on sale for around $25.00 per box and seen as low as $20.00 per box. Very inexpensive compared to other big bore ammo.

I bought an AR and before I new it I owned 4. Mine went 5.56 (m4)then 450 bushmmaster then 6.8mm and then back to 5.56 (varmint). I am looking to build number 5. I have lost my mind.

Having shot both the 6.8 and the 6.5 grendel, I still prefer the 6.5 just because imho it performs better outpast 300 yds and factory ammo is cheaper, plus there is a very good selection of 6.5 caliber bullets out there if you plan on reloading.

I know you said you will probably only shoot within 300 and I said that at one time, but as time progressed and my confidence grew I now find myself taking kill shots out to 500 yds and paper out to 800yds.

I also toyed around with a big bore in the AR platform for hogs. But given that most of the hogs I shoot are in eastern Carolina swamps, I opted for my benelli nova just for increased reliability.

6.8 or .204 Ruger would be my choice. Luckily I have both so I don't have to choose. And I some how manage to hit both my 400 and 600 yard targets with all of my ARs.
smile.gif

Quote: 204, 17 rem

That is getting smaller and not larger. A 17 rem or 204 will kill deer, but I would not chose either over a .223

Originally Posted By: semo97
Yote Yoda said:
I switched to the AR platform three years ago to get that Vietnam/USMC look back.

Sorry guys this is off topic.

Vietnam/USMC look back....What the heck, explain this to all of us? You a nam vet or one of those that want to be one? There are a lot of of us nam vets on here and we want nothing to remind us of it or want the look what ever that would be. We have enough memories and flashbacks to deal with. We were the best of our generation we served our country.

Paul

Amen brother..

Originally Posted By: BillytheKidOriginally Posted By: tedhunterthe bigboy AR's are more of a reloaders arena and there is considerable expense to getting them up and running.

I would politely disagree. If you keep an eye out for the sales, often you can get a .450 Bushmaster upper for around $550.00 or so, and factory ammo is often on sale for around $25.00 per box and seen as low as $20.00 per box. Very inexpensive compared to other big bore ammo.

Point was and is, factory loads are somewhat limited so to shoot it economically; pick up dies, bullets, powder and reload. Nothing at all wrong with that; I reload for everything but the old 30-30 and any factory ammo or brass I buy, I get online.

As for uppers, all I've looked at to date were the 458 SOCOM and the 50 - they were in the 700 - 1500 range. I'll look at the 450BM; it may be a bit more economical, if I foray into the big bores.

Originally Posted By: Cody01I've never really seen good results from AR type guns at 300 yards. Should just buy an inexpensive bolt for long distance shots. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.........

If you reload, how about a 6mm or 25-223, easy to do and good shooters is what i hear anyway.---For the feller that cant shoot 300yds with his ar, WHUT?

Back