Nikon Monarch or leupold vx-3??

Wa_Coyote_Hunter

I am looking at the Nikon monarch 4-16x42 sf and a leupold vx-3 3-10
x 40 they are both very clear and are around the same price. But I have had both brands and like them both. I am going to put it on a deer rifle, long range target rifle. I had to sell the leupold along time ago for money reasons and since bought me the nikon Ucc monarch with nikon bdc reticle. I am putting that on my 22-250 vanguard s2 when I get it. "Already ordered" Any suggestions guys would be helpfull. I can't go up much in money so needs to be in the $400 to $450 range. Thanks dave

Also thinking maybe a vortex viper??

Last edited:
On the high end stuff, leupold gets my vote. In the middle ground/low end, I'd go Nikon.

In this situation, I'd say go with the VX-3.

I have owned a nikon monarch 3-12 sf and I now have a 1.5-5x20 vx3. Both are nice but I like the leupold better and think its image is slightly better.

Don't overlook a weaver v16. really a serious value and the right power range for you.

Only thing that sucks about leupy is as you dial the power up or down you have to move your eye alot. Some other scopes don't move as much.Note that it is different for each model. The model I have moves the least and I'm not sure I could stand more change in eye relief.

I have both scopes, of course on two different rifles. My vote after all is done is Nikon. I spent the bucks on the Leupold VX3 and when i bought the Nikon, i was disappointed. Disappointed because i liked the clearness of the nikon better. But, that is why they have so many different brands and models. The last scope was a Redfield made by Leupold, and i will buy another Redfield shortly. Leupold is a fine American manufacturer but I was a little disappointed in the VX3 vs. the nikon.

I think you have to also consider the Leupold guarantee. I know Nikon says guarantee, but it is limited and I know two guys that zero help from them when scopes failed.

Leupold, all the way. Very tough scope, and you can trust the internals of it.
Second choice would be the Vortex Viper. I have a Vortex Diamondback on a calling rifle now, and it's a very nice scope for the money, tracks precisely, and it's nice and bright in low light.

My vote is Leupold VX3 as well. the first ones were not nearly as good as the ones being produced today. Leupold's warranty is by far better than the Nikon. Optically the two scopes are very close to each other. Not enough difference to take a chance on the spotty customer service of Nikon. Plus the fact as has been mentioned, Leupold is an American company.
Vortex Viper is good stuff as well. I have a standard Viper and a Viper PST. Both are great scopes and even Leupold can't beat their warranty.

I don't know if any of you have delt with Nikon's Customer Service Department int he last 18 months or not? I can tell you they have gone to great lengths to make sure you the customer is taken care of quickly and correctly. Here's a small piece of the Nikon Scope Warranty, the rest can be found at Nikonhunting.com

Nikon Full Lifetime Warranty
Nikon Riflescope (No Electronic Components)
This is your Nikon Inc. Full Lifetime Warranty (valid in the Continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii) for new Nikon riflescopes that do not contain electronic components. This Nikon product is warranted by Nikon Inc. to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. If this product is found to have defects in material or workmanship, Nikon Inc. will at its option and without charge, either repair or replace this product, even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required to obtain warranty service.

I think it pretty much spells out the length of the warranty and as long as it's normal wear and tear getting a scope fixed should not be a problem. At the very least you can contact me and I'd be happy to help you out.

As I tell most guys, go somewhere that allow's you to evaluate the scopes you are considering side by side. Look through them and then pick the one that fit's your needs the best. Make sure you do check out Nikon's BDC Reticle too. They make a big difference when it comes time for a longrange shot. As always drop me a note with any questions or concerns.
Bart

Bart can you please tell us why if the Nikon warranty is lifetime that the refurbs Natchez sells only carry a 90 day warranty?

Last edited:
Meat,
The Refurb's that are sold are scopes that have been used a show's as display's, sent to writers to evaluate, consigned to folks to use in some of the TV show's Nikon Sponsor's and then returned. These scopes are gone over and then sold as refurbished. They are not scopes that are returned to us as not working, then fixed and sold. The only reason I can imagine for the 90 days warranty is that they are discounted so much. Only reason. I have heard from a lot of folks who have bought these scopes and not one reported a problem to me. Sorry that's all I have on the refurbished issue.
Mike, I don't know how long Nikon has had a Lifetime Warranty on their scopes, I do know some folks run over their scopes and think it's part of normal wear and tear, I'm pretty sure it's not.
As I said before, if anyone here has a problem with one of our Optic's, I am happy to help them get the issue taken care of. It's not part of my job, but for guys on this forum I am happy help where I can.

Barton,

It appears you have some inside knowledge of Nikon.

Can you tell me why Nikon is apparently ashamed of us rifle shooters, so much so, that on the Nikon website, there is not even a link or listing for the riflescope division?

K-22,
Good question.....
While they carry the same name they are 2 seperate entities.

I agree, they should.....
Then again, Nikonhunting.com does not have a link to the camera division...

I was looking at the VX-3 3-10 for my .270 deer rifle, but after comparing I decided on a Viper HS 2.5-10x44. IMO very nice glass and and not only less money but a better value all around with its' features. It too comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

Originally Posted By: TNcallerI was looking at the VX-3 3-10 for my .270 deer rifle, but after comparing I decided on a Viper HS 2.5-10x44. IMO very nice glass and and not only less money but a better value all around with its' features. It too comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

I hate to admit it because I am a huge Leupold fan but the Vortex Viper scopes are trully all that. If you look at the total package, glass, features, eye box, availability, price and phenominal CS, there is no scope in the world that will beat the Vortex Vipers.

Originally Posted By: TNcallerI was looking at the VX-3 3-10 for my .270 deer rifle, but after comparing I decided on a Viper HS 2.5-10x44. IMO very nice glass and and not only less money but a better value all around with its' features. It too comes with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

Sorry, double post

Last edited:
Back