25-06 for coyote hunting?

im on my second tube on my rem 700 classic new barrel will shoot sub moa out to 400 on paper its by far my fav all around round.i shoot nosler 115 bt in mine with a good charge of 4831sc great round for everthing around ohio/pa lots of shocking power

24" barrel is adequate teh 25.06 does best with a 26 so the tikka really short changes it where the 243 does not need the length to perform but I would rather have a 25 gr pill going downrange rather than a 6mm

Originally Posted By: nitis24" barrel is adequate teh 25.06 does best with a 26 so the tikka really short changes it where the 243 does not need the length to perform but I would rather have a 25 gr pill going downrange rather than a 6mm

How many 22" barreled .25-06s you played with? How bout 26" .25-06s... or .243s for that matter? Difference between a 22" pipe and a 26" pipe is less than 100fps... I know... I've had the same pipe cut from 26"... to 24" then to 22"... the difference was right at 100fps, with the same load. 56 grains of RE-22 went just a shade over 3400 in the 26" pipe and went 3300 and some change in the 22". All the Tikka rifles I've tinkered with have pretty quick barrels too... something to be said for a quality pipe. I bet a guy would never notice the difference in the field between a 22" spouted Tikka... and a 24" Remmy (or Salvage, or Worstchester).

If you like the Tikka... buy the Tikka... don't worry about the 100fps or so... the critters won't!

100 fps shouldn't matter you are right but if I had my druthers I would always opt for a longer barrel

and also just because rl22 dodnt change much doesent mean other powders won't react differently

I've got a rare Sako heavy barreled action in 25-06 on a L61R action These were rare, what makes even more rare/unique is the fact that is has the checkerd shrouded cocking piece like the Sako AIII actions (you Sako aficionados will know what I'm talking about) I had a gunsmith buddy of mine check out the bore, he has one of those Hawkeye bore scopes he says the tube has less than 500 rounds down it. That it has been kept clean, no heat lancing. Not bad for a rifle thats was built in 1977 according to the S/N. It needs a stock, I'm debaiting if I want to give Mcmillan $700.00 plus to custom install, piller bed ect thier Sako varminter stock. I'd like to find the original Sako varmint stock, but I could wait years before finding one of those if at all. Don't know what to do, options are limited. Grizz

Originally Posted By: nitis100 fps shouldn't matter you are right but if I had my druthers I would always opt for a longer barrel

and also just because rl22 dodnt change much doesent mean other powders won't react differently

You're right... the other couple loads I tried had similar results. I just use the RE-22 example because it was the best load in the rifle, and I always shoot that load first in a .25-06... it's consistely one of the best.

So... if it came with a 24" you'd prefer 26"... how about 28"... where does it stop?

I just like that in the lighter bullets the longer barreled 25 seperates it self from the 243

but I am never opposed to carrying a longer barrel if I have the option I never fired a 257 wby vanguard that was a raffle prize I sold it cheap!

Back