January moon calling reports 2012

wackum_stackum

Since everyone is probably still passed out from last night lol,
thumbup1.gif
I will b the first to get this post going, gd luck to all taking advantage of this fresh snow tonight

Snow is still falling.... Need the wind to die down some. Right now I would have to stake myself down to stay in place. They are forecasting below 0 temps tomorrow night after this storm. If it can clear out and the wind die down.... The fun we will have!!

Almost 70% of the moon illuminated tonight with moon transit (high moon) at a little before 7:00PM. If you have snow should be a great night to get out. Hoping the winds die down some......

Totally agree with low cloud cover and city lights...don't even need a moon at all under those conditions. As far as full moon light goes a week or more before is really pushing it but then I like to see them coming before they end up in my lap
w00t.gif
!

I think i might give it a go the next couple of nights. Don't have much snow and it is supposed to be in the 40's here on thursday last i heard. So this might be my only shot this moon.

I have never done this before so I am excited to give it a go.
thumbup.gif

Well i just got back in. I guess more snow melted in the afternoon sun the last couple days than i thought. Only my pasture had enough snow left on it to make a set.

I started out with cottontail distress and after my second string of calling I start hearing yips and howls on the property right next to ours. Sounded 1/2 mile away or less. So I decided to yip and howl back and they didn't make a peep after that. I dunno if I howled wrong or if they just didn't care but anyways I came home empty. Waited over 30 min. after that to see if anything showed and tryed howling a couple more times. Also heard some yipping/howling a few miles the other direction so there are plenty around. Unless, of course, it was other coyote hunters.

Looking like I am done till next moon unless we get more snow soon. Guess I picked a poor year to start moon calling...

Last edited:
went out with my lil brother last night. first set of the year had dist. cottontail on for less than 90sec. all the sudden he came running from my right going left stood up shoot twice and mised. im so mad at my self i never even clicked my light on. the bean field had just a touch of snow and the moon was bright enuf to see though the scoop pretty good

Stuck at work so far, haven't seen any standing along the road. Will be stacking starting tomorrow night. Still have decent snow here but won't be if it gets and stays warm.

Well I was able to sneak out after bartending lastnight, and got two sets in. First spot I went to was a an area Ive had luck at. I set up in a field between two large woods, it was pretty white but not the best. Started out with some distress for 10 mins and then switched it up. At about 20 mins, 2 coyotes came charging in. They got to about 200yds and started going back and forth. Something I havent seen coyotes do. I kept lip squeaking to get them closer, but I knew my wind was close to them already. So when one decided to cut my wind I barked it to a stop, first mn yote of the year! Nice looking dog for this area. Ended up being 130yds or so. Next spot, felt better than the first as far as wind direction and set up. Called it for 30 mins, to no avail. Fun night to be out. Im hoping for one more night before our snow is gone, but highly doubt it with highs today around 42 and sunny! I will post a pic this afternoon when I get home and take a nap! Good luck to those that have snow!

I went outlast night, we have no snow here. I had heard one in the field behind my house two nights ago. So i drove to the east side of the field. I had a SW wind and set up on the north fence. I howled one time and was silent. I sat there for about 5 minutes, in the mean time I had a high fluffy cloud roll over the top of me and the moon light was blinking in and out. On one of the blinks one there was a coyote standing 30yds in front of me staring down my mojo, about that time the light went way. When the light came back it was about 140 yds away standing staring in my direction. I moved the gun over for the shot and didn't connect. I hope to catch a break again tonight.

Nice work whackem, we made 3 sets and had one almost run over me before I saw it! Got him to stop but missed. They were vocal but only saw the one. Here is the coyote from tue night.
DSC_0263.jpg

Back