mountain lion Calling question???

folsomman

I’ve been trying to call in a mountain lion and was wondering if I’m going about it the right way? I am using a FoxPro and a mouth call together. On the FoxPro I will play mule deer fawn distress for 15 minutes then change to another sound. I change sounds every 15 minutes and stay on stand for 45 minutes to an hour. During the stand I usually throw in a mountain lion whistle every now and then. I don’t have a set time interval I do this. Also during the stand I am continuously blow on a mouth calls extremely hard to make it really screech. There is mountain lion sign in the area so I know their around. I now that they are like any cat finicky and have short attention span. Any input would help.

Gonzaga,

Did you use a mouth call or electronic. If you used an electronic call did you play the sound intermittently or continuously?

Come on Craig I can't be giving away all of my top secret calling sounds.

I was using fawn distress sounds.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you are too busy with your calling. I would keep it busy or you will loose the cats interest but if you are too busy you are going to be over whelming to the cat. I would go very easy on the whistle thing.
Cats are alot like women, give them too much of a good thing and they wont be interested, give em just enough to keep them coming back. lol

I called one in a few years ago with a foxpro using jackrabbbit playing continuosly,volume up and down.
It was a very windy evening,she came in at 35 min.I was 50 yards from the call.I like to stay back from call less likely to be seen by cats.Called a 2nd lion in last year it came in beside me and seen me.It just walked away know shot fired to thick of brush.I like a decoy .keep trying they'll come in time!

We have called in a lot of cats here in SD the last few years and have found that there are many different sounds and strategies that work well. Most distress sounds will work and MT Lion in heat has called in both males and females here. We play them loud and continuous. I try to call in thick cover so they are comfortable and I like to put the caller in the bottom of a canyon or draw in thick cover. This way lions will come off the ridges and can stalk from above. (stay as still as you possibly can, cats will pick up nearly any movement)

I prefer to hunt them with a bow now, so my tactics have changed a little. I hide myself well and keep the caller close. When I call from a tree stand I will put the caller right at the base of my tree or in a bush within a few yards from my tree. When I am on the ground I put the caller 15-20 yards in front of me and make sure I stay concealed.

It isn't easy and requires a lot of time and dedication.

good luck

Back