cold garage ammo storage

DPM223

I currently store my ammo in an unheated garage in my gun safe and was wondering if there would be any adverse effects long term. I do use a dehumidifier. There can be some extreme temperature changes in ND. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I keep all my waterfowl loads in the garage and we get some cold winters up here...Have cases of shells that are 15yrs old no sign of corrorsion yet...As long as its dry you should be fine.Just my 2cents.

Originally Posted By: mark shubertAs I understand, heat is what is detrimental to stored ammo. Probably doesn't get that hot in your garage.
Mark

Shoot! My garage get way in the Utah summers! I guess ND may be cooler.
wink.gif

Won't hurt nuttin'.
I shot some 25/30 yr old 16ga shells last week that have been stored on some shelves in my shed; without heat or air for the last 14yrs. they shot just fine. I can still tear up the clays with that old 16.

Originally Posted By: DPM223I currently store my ammo in an unheated garage in my gun safe and was wondering if there would be any adverse effects long term. I do use a dehumidifier. There can be some extreme temperature changes in ND. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mine is stored the same, NO issues

Mine is stored in the garage also and it still works. Some brutally cold winters here too.

I'm glad to hear others doing the same as I was wondering if I shouldn't be storing it like that.

As long as its dry I think that's all that really matters. I have friend who use to own a Gun store that he closed 30-35 years ago,brought most of the ammo home and stored it in a shed behind his house. That's what he still hunts with now.

I think dry is the big thing. I hear humidity can be an issue for powder in cans for long term storage. I'm probably extreme but I keep all my powders in my climate controlled house.

Glad to see this thread!! I have also been keeping all of my surplus ammmo in the garage. I don't have a gun safe at the moment, so I utilize some garage shelving to store mine for the time being.

It is dry in my garage, but it can definitely see a wide range of temperatures throughout the different months of the year.

I have an old IOOF lodge 'trunk' that they used to keep their ceremonial items in that I've had for years... I set in up on end and installed some shelves in it and keep all my surplus ammo in it, in sealed steel ammo cans...It's all stored in the garage as well..

I did an inventory on it a year or two ago and it's like brand new and shoots great...So I don't think you have a lot to worry about, since MO has continual wide swings in both temperature and humidity during the year..

AmmoInventory10-09.jpg

Back