Upper and lower too tight!

tbarile

I just put together my first AR. I ordered a dpms upper from midway and a plum crazy lower from joe bob. Once together it is extremely difficult to get back apart as the rear of the upper sticks in the lower. Any suggestions on how I loosen it up?

I think the PC lowers are just made a little tighter... My JSE upper fits really tight with mine as well. It had loosened up some over time but I haven't tried really hard. I like that there isn't any slop between the two.

My PC lower was like that at first and after time it was fine.

Also check and make sure the BCG and charging handle (locked in place) is as far forward as possible to prevent rubbing.

Besides, You don't want it to loose because it could cause other issues such as POI from movement.

Keep in mind, Altering the lower will void the warranty as well.

PM JOEBOB and I'm sure they will discuss in detail.

My pc lower was the same way. It said on the package that it is suppose to be tight. After less than a month it has loosened up enough I have no problems. Only problem I have had is the pins on the pc lower are composit also. I had one break and went and bought metal ones and changed them out.

Originally Posted By: tbarile Once together it is extremely difficult to get back apart as the rear of the upper sticks in the lower.

Perfect.

My PC Lower was the same way, tight enough I was concerned until I called the Dealer & found out that's normal. Don't worry, it will be hard to remove the upper at first, then it gets easier with time.

The PC lowers are a little narrower between the rear takedown pins to decrease "slop" and eliminate any extra stresses that could be applied to the takedown pins as that upper slop can act like a fulcrum.

This is normal. If you want to make it "looser" you can do what I did. I dremeled a tiny bit in the rear of the lower by the takedown pin area to make it a bit easier for my lowers to fit in. My Nordic Components NC-22 upper and the PC lower were a bit too snug for my liking, so a quick dremel job fixed that!

Last edited:
RRA lowers are the same way, for the same reason. FWIW, I've broken steel takedown pins tapping them out with a small hammer (2-oz) and a steel punch on a too-tight rifle.

Originally Posted By: Terry N. FWIW, I've broken steel takedown pins tapping them out with a small hammer (2-oz) and a steel punch on a too-tight rifle.

For the life of me I can't see how this would be even remotely possible. Mushroom the chit out of the end, possibly. But break, it just ain't happening.

can't imagine a fit so tight that a pin would break before sliding out...How the heck did the pin get put in, with a hammer as well?

yes its normal, my RRA Coyote does the same thing. The plumb-crazy's are tight as heck, That's why I use a Sun-devil Lower or Rainier Arms because they have a tension screw to tighten the receivers back up after a few years of use. The accuwedge is a joke.

IMG-20120102-00078.jpg

Back