coyotes tonight

callmaster64

Going out tonight before the rain moves in. We have an old fox pro what would you recommend. Coyote pup dist, female invitation, cottontail dist, rodent dist or lucky bird. Have had some luck with the cottontail dist. but havent tried the others all that much. Anyone ever have any luck with the others? We are in northern Indiana by the way. By the way this site is awsome, my wife dont care much for it becouse im always on it reading all the great stuff. Thanks!!

Try them all at different stands. Coyotes like some sounds more than others. I like distressed house cat at night. Call shy coyotes may not like rabbit calls if they have seen a lot of pressure from hunters. Mix it up and see what they like! GOOD LUCK!

I still use cassette tapes in a Johnny Stewart E-Caller and I dubbed distressed house cat and baby woodpecker to switch sounds every thirty seconds. The sound switching back and forth seems to work very well on educated coyotes. Try switching sounds frequently if you can.

Well I dont know what we did wrong last night. It was a perfect night no wind at all and we called 6 stands and nothing. The 1st and 2nd stand we started with the female invitation then went to cottontail and the rodent following that and nothing. #3 stand with cottontail and heard a red fox and we never seen it so we went to red fox pup still nothing but it got some yotes about 2 miles away making some noise but no permission where they were located so that was a bust. The next 3 stands went with just the cottontail and never seen squat. I dont know whats up. Gonna try this evening 2 hours before dark until a couple after it gets dark. Wife didnt really much care for me gettin home at 3 in the morning though gonna try and make it an early night tonight. Nw Indiana. How long to you guys usually call a stand? We normally stay 20 min to a half hour unless something is going on. How low do you start out with volume and what to finish with? Maybe thats our problem dont know. This sport is kind of addicting.

Let me tell ya the eastern yotes are really wary. I have made 30 stands so far and seen nothing, had em howling at night and spooked one on my way back to the truck in the dark. I call for 30 min minimum, starting to call 45min, had quite a few come in late in my sequence. I always start off quiet in case something is close, and with something that will bring in a fox. Dont call too loudly yotes have great hearing and the high volume will spook em off. Dont over call your locations, and make sure you can see our down wind side. Keep at it. Breeding season is coming soon, thats when things start to heat up.

Widow maker is right. When hunting eastern yotes you need to stay on stand for at least 30 minutes. I stay on most of my stands for an hour. The eastern yotes usually don't come barging in like the western ones you see on TV or hunting DVD's.

You can't believe everything you see on TV. Educated western coyotes will run from a call with a lot of pressure. Only private property with little pressure makes for good TV shows. I use all kinds of sounds and switch sounds frequently. But I try to use sounds that coyotes don't hear very often. An infant human baby in distress works VERY WELL. Just don't let anyone catch you pinching the baby to make a recording! LOL!

Right now I use a group howl its mating season. I have seen coyote at night run from my calls because they know me but the group howl still stirs there blood.

I stay a minimum of an hour on stand here in NY...seems like the coyotes take their sweet time on coming in here in the northeast.

Well since my last post the next night 1/2 inch rain and 30-35mph winds are keeping me at home i hope tommorrow the 2nd will bring me a little better weather. Maybe a morning and afternoon hunt we will see.

Here in West Central IL we have a few foxes so I never start out a set with coyote vocals. I normally start out with a low volume baby rabbit distress then move to a louder rabbit distress. Then go to coyote greeting vocals after 15 minutes and get more aggressive barks & challenge howl if I get an aggressive response. I wrap it up with some more rabbit distress and pup yips at the end (approximately 1/2 hour). However I will stay up to an hour if I got some howl responses and they are within a half mile of my location. Hope this helps.

If you get a reponse,and they wont move up on you,try moving closer to them,this relly makes them mad.Same with a dog you think busted you,and is scold barking,move up on him,he may not be sure of what you are,until you start moving and hit him with some more coyote vocals!! They get agressive quickly and may come out of the cover and give you a shot.

Last edited:
Back