OAL and Headspace

mhw998

I'm a fairly new reloader and wondering if anyone uses the OAL guages or Headspace tools. Or do you measure COL, seating depth, etc. and go shoot? Just looking for opinions. I'm looking for accuracy but I won't be shooting at Camp Perry so I wanted to see what your opinions are on these tools. Thanks.

2 different animals. Headspace is built into the gun, and can't be changed without removing the barrel. Assuming the headspace is within tolerance, you just don't want to over-work the brass, meaning resizing more than needed. OAL is a function of bullet seating, and can vary greatly wit different bullets. For accuracy purposes, you may want to pay more attention to where the seated bullet meets the lands instead of OAL.

Originally Posted By: Stob2 different animals. Headspace is built into the gun, and can't be changed without removing the barrel. Assuming the headspace is within tolerance, you just don't want to over-work the brass, meaning resizing more than needed. OAL is a function of bullet seating, and can vary greatly wit different bullets. For accuracy purposes, you may want to pay more attention to where the seated bullet meets the lands instead of OAL.

+1

I recommend a hex-style bullet comparator so you can measure the distance from casehead to ogive, once you've found the seating depth to the lands.

If you are shooting from a removeable Magazine, check the COL before loading a bunch of them. Your Mag will dictate the length unless you single feed them. Good luck

Back