Cali, Christmas, and Coyotes!!!

SSharp

Over the Christmas Holidays Jennifer(wife) and I took my son Cayden to California to visit her family and coyote hunt. We had several days to hunt and visit before heading to LA to see the beach and visit other family members. Cayden was excited because the main purpose of this trip was to get him his first coyote. Jennifer killed her first one here last year.
IndependenceCAJens1st.jpg

Jen's First Coyote

On Christmas Eve everyone from Jen's small town gathers at the courthouse to let the kids see Santa and catch up on old times. Cayden was going to tell Santa he wanted Blitzen's shoulder mount on his wall for Christmas but thought better of it.
DSC01328.jpg

Christmas morning was cold with temps. in the upper teens and the coyotes were moving. Our first stand was overlooking an alfalfa field. Five minutes of Cottontail Distress on the Fury and we had three headed our way from the far side of the field. I peeked over and Cayden's eyes looked like saucers.
blink.gif
The coyotes were 300 yards and running our way. I still don't know what they saw but at 150 yards the front one flared and then they all turned and ran back to the sage. Coyote Pup Distress didn't even bring them back. The wind was good and no sudden movements were made. Sometimes they just know to get the heck out of Dodge. Cayden said his heart was pounding out of his chest when he saw there were three, and I new we were going to have a lot of fun on this trip.
We had a dry stand and then saw two run across the road in front of us. We elected to drive on in hopes we could call them back that afternoon. Jennifer saw two out in the sage at the next stand but they would not come in. A couple more dry stands and we decided to head back for breakfast, presents, and visiting with family. Jen's Mom & Dad bought tickets to Universal Studios Hollywood for the three of us. We were going back to LA a couple of days early to see the beach and visit other family members, so this worked out GREAT!!!

Later that afternoon we called two stands with no takers. The last stand of the day was back where we saw the two cross the road that morning. We started the stand with Jackrabbit Distress for six minutes then I switched to Male Coyote Challenge. We had an answer from our left and remained quiet for a few minutes, then played Coyote Pup Distress 3 and a big male coyote headed towards the caller. When I muted the sound and he stopped, Cayden was up on his sticks and ready. The Rem. 22-250 Model 7 Predator barked and the 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip found it's mark square in the shoulder-DRT. We played Pup Distress for a little longer and then celebrated with high-fives and pictures.
ADSC01396.jpg

Cayden's First Coyote

We went home ate supper and then I let Cayden help me skin his first coyote. What a GREAT day!!!

Day two was all about Jennifer. The first stand found us in the sage with a 75 yard opening in front. After 5-6 minutes of Jackrabbit Distress a HUGE male came in on her side and when he saw the Blackjack and stopped, she laid him down. Rem. 22-250 VTR shooting 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips.
DSC01424.jpg

Jen's 5th Coyote

We followed with two dry stands and then drove 30 miles to some new country. Lots of tracks on the way to a set always gets you excited. I started the stand with Cottontail Distress for eight minutes and switched to some softer Rodent Squeaks. As I look to my left I see a coyote at 100 yards coming in just walking. I smooch to let Jen know since he is on her side. She was ready and let him come to within 15 yards of the decoy. He walked in the whole way. I muted the sound and he stopped and dropped DRT.
DSC01458.jpg

Jen's 6th Coyote

The weather got warmer and the coyotes didn't want to play after that so we headed to the mountains to cool off.
DSC01365.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

My wife doesn't play fair!!!
DSC01371.jpg

The last day was spent taking lots of family pictures and showing Cayden around new places.
DSC01533.jpg

We finally even made it back down south to redeem those Christmas presents. We spent 12 hours at Universal Studios and rode every ride and saw every show. What a Day!!!
DSC01701.jpg

I don't think we could have had a better Christmas.

Nominate for Hunt Of The Month

Last edited by a moderator:
Priceless. Great memories. Great stories and pictures. Thank you for sharing.

I am waiting for my son and grandson to call me and say "Pappy---let's go get a coyote". So far they are happy hunting birds and deer but sooner or later I will get them hooked on coyotes.

Sounds like you all had a great time and a great Christmas. Wish the dogs would have played a little more so that Cayden would have got a couple more opportunity to shoot a couple more dogs, but you may have to leave Jen at home for this to happen? She will turn in to a DOG HOG if we let her (LOL). Great play by play. Thanks for the stories. I wish Jen would let me go with you all.

Originally Posted By: DDenson I wish Jen would let me go with you all.
She said maybe next year for Christmas, but only if you get off of the naughty list!!!

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONECourthouse in Independence ?
Yes Sir...You must be familiar with Jennifer's tiny home town.

Yep, go through there several times each year wilst hunting and fishing. A little Independence Ca trivia. Killer Charles Manson took his last breath and his last look around as a free man just before entering the jail at the Independence courthouse for torching a peice of heavy equipment. He was serving his sentence, or awaiting trial there when he was taken back to Los Angeles and charged with the Tate LaBianca Murders. Grizz

My Mother-in-Law is a dispatcher at the Inyo County Jail in Independence, so I actually new about Mr. Manson. Inyo County also has the highest point (Mt. Whitney) and the lowest point (Death Valley) in the US within the same county. Owens Valley is also the deepest valley in the US if you stretch a line from the Inyo's to the Sierra's. Lot's of cool stuff in that little valley.

Very nice writeup and pics. That is beautiful country and some very nice looking coyotes. Congrats on a great time with family!

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEYep, go through there several times each year wilst hunting and fishing.
Grizz, Jen and I would love to sit some stands with you if it ever worked out. Of course we would have to blindfold you so you wouldn't know all of our honey-holes.

Originally Posted By: SSharpOriginally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEYep, go through there several times each year wilst hunting and fishing.
Grizz, Jen and I would love to sit some stands with you if it ever worked out. Of course we would have to blindfold you so you wouldn't know all of our honey-holes. That would be fun. I have a few sweet spots of my own in them parts. I've seen and hunted the Rockys from New Mex to Wyoming. And in my opinion you can't beat the Owens Valley/Eastern Sierras for pure scenic beauty. The variation in geography is truly amazing. Grizz

Originally Posted By: SSharpreb8600...Thanks for the nomination!!!

Your welcome. Thanks to you for taking the time to type the story up.

Back