spitfire antenna mod

Tjkiller

FYI, i mounted an external antenna using heavy gauge electrical wire on the spitfire. Increased the range dramatically. This model didn't have much range as it was.

You can get as fancy as you want but all i did was:

1. take the screws out and gently separate the halves

2. Drill a hole from the top (just big enough for the wire) on the side with the internal antenna BEHIND the top screw. Run the wire down thru the hole.

note: the spitfire internal antenna is a simple wire that runs thru the handle from rear to front)

3. Splice into the antenna with your electrical wire IN FRONT of the top screw.

note: (Use a wire that will stick up but will bend easily)(not a bare wire,use a coated electrical wire.)

4. press it all in the housing so that both antenna wires run under the top screw towards the back , the external goes up out the hole.(keeps from pulling out)

5. screw back together (do not over torque)and seal hole with some liquid gasket or something similar.

my uncle rigged up a antenna out of a spring and used fittings and stuff, looks professional, mine not so much but it definitely increases the range.

operate at your own risk! dont forget to kiss your warranty GOOD BYE! Good luck!

Alright now someone let me know if I can do this with the FX3. Ive thought of an extra antenna to increase range but never attempted it now you got me going.
Daryl P.

Agreed! I can get 100 yards if someone holds it up and I'm looking at them standing but when in the field I have problems at 30 yards before!

I havent done a test but the other day I was in a cut but unplowed cornfield and was corn was about 18in high. It was on a upward slope and I thought i had line of sight. At approx 50-60m i couldnt get it to work. 40 under no prob. THe spitfire was on a tripod. Ive gotten 70-80 when i hang it in a tree. Ive used it 3 times with the new antenna and i was easily 100m away in a cornfied and one other time i was more than a hundred in a weedy field. I think the antenna sticking up another foot helps. I know this, since i put it on, i dont have to hold up the remote, or press multiple times. I definitely recieves better.

After reading your post I went ahead and took mine apart and extended the antenna. Hopefully I get good results. Range is the only thing about the spitfire I didn't like.

I ned to re read the post but exactly where do you connect the new wire or is it just along side the original antenna?
Thanks
Daryl P.

Originally Posted By: Ernest III ned to re read the post but exactly where do you connect the new wire or is it just along side the original antenna?
Thanks
Daryl P.

I don't know exactly how the OP spliced his.

I took mine apart and spliced into the end of the antenna wire and soldered it. Drilled a small hole in the top of the handle and ran the new wire out of the hole. Then sealed the hole.

Its just wire to wire. I just spliced it, ran both wires back under the screw and the one out the hole. Im sure there is a better way, its simple,

Originally Posted By: Ernest III ned to re read the post but exactly where do you connect the new wire or is it just along side the original antenna?
Thanks
Daryl P.

Ernest, keep in mind these guys are making antenna modifications to Spitfire callers. The Spitfire has a concealed antenna that makes a pass down the inside of the carry handle. The mod they are doing extends the original Spitfire antenna out and up.

Your FX3 caller is made a little different and already has an external antenna that can be rotated up. In your case I highly doubt you would see any gain by extending your existing antenna or adding a second one. It is what it is.

Getting the caller, any of the callers, up off the ground a few feet or more is the easiest, cheapest and best way to get more range and reliability.

In the long run, if you really want a caller with some decent reliable remote range you need to get one of the callers that uses FHSS to transmit. Cost is big bucks, but it truly is the only way you'll see increased reliable range and operation. And even with FHSS it helps a bunch to get the caller elevated.

Or build your own. But that ain't for everybody either.

Doggin, something I have noticed with all my callers fx3, fury, cs24 is that if I held the remote up that everything was hit or miss even at ranges of 40 yds. But what I noticed is that I could lay the remote on the ground and it would respond 100% of the time. I think its the way the signal is broadcast and the best reception is when the caller is at an equal or higher elevation than the remote.

I just tried mine 3' off the ground and 100yds was no problem. tried it at 150 still worked. I usually hang it from a tree and still only set it out 40-50 yds max. It turned on at 175 but couldnt shut it off.

When I first got my Spitfire the range sucked but I sent it back to the fine ppl at Foxpro and it does great. 100 yards all day long...never tried it farther..no need for me!!

Back