Windy conditions?

buckshot5792

How do you guys do when it is windy? Tomorrow is supposed to be sustained winds of 19 mph here tomorrow and it's raining all day today would you bother trying tomorrow evening or just wait it out another day?

When it blows that hard I generally hang it up until the wind is not blowing that hard. There are lots of arguments you will hear on on wind and calling but I have found the calling is not generally as good on 20 mph winds. I live in mostly desert area and just doesn't work for me. Trees maybe you can get by with a little more wind not sure.

Not to many tricks when the wind blows that I know of. I have called many, many times in high winds but not real good success. Rain is good for me and snow days and little breeze is great just not high winds.

I wanted to go out tomorrow as my daughter received two new calls that she got from bearmanric@aol.com http://rrcalls.com/
and wanted to try them out. Rick gave her two calls for Xmas for being a girl who likes to hunt varmints so she has been driving me nuts blowing them in the house. The weather is supposed to snow here which is great but 20 to 25 mph winds so probably won't go. She was all bummed.

Last edited:
If you have a loud ecaller say a W.T. or CS-24,I say go calling.
Here is my reasoning.
1). The high winds disapate any of your scent quickly,so you dont have to worry about being winded as much.

2).Coyote hearing is very sensitive,high winds tend to mess them up,so you can move into areas where you normaly would get busted,they experiance hearing overload on windy days,but they will easily pick up coyote or prey sounds,Same with thier sight,they can see movement really well,but when everything else is moving they have a hard time making you out up against a dark background,so stick to the edges of the fields.

3).Stick with coyote vocals,they have to investigate strange coyotes in their territory,they cant help themselves.

I tend to kill most of my dogs,in windy conditions,up here in the east calling areas are smaller,so I tend to stay home if its to quiet,unless I know for certain I can get into position
without getting busted.

Last edited:
Like I said everyone has their own theory. I have a WT caller but still don't go out on real windy days 20 to 25 mph winds don't do it for me.

Its not a theory for me,its fact,for the reasons I mentioned.The windier the better.Of course if your "soft calling" well then stay home on windy days.I locate, set up close, (thanks to the wind)and "hard call" with coyote vocals.

I have seen and heard of others having some success in higher winds. I don't think anyone bangs them up in real high winds.

I don't like to hunt if the wind is over 15mph but I have buddies who will go when it's 20mph or greater. Wind is a personal choice but I have had the most success over the past 25 years in 3 to 15 mph winds.

The main reason I don't hunt on real windy days is confidence in my ablity to make a longer shot if ole wiley hangs up.

High winds = All critters are bedded down out of the wind. I hunt the Eastern Plains of Colorado and 15mph winds are the norm. I just ordered the new Foxpro Krakatoa so i am hoping that will increase my odds. Also, coyote vocals is key as well.

I dont like too hunt when it is windy but usually dont have a choice. One thing i like about the wind is that it keeps your sound of walking in low and you odds of a spot n stalk go up.

Too windy?? = Staying home or scouting new areas.

High winds = All critters are bedded down out of the wind. I hunt the Eastern Plains of Colorado and 15mph winds are the norm. I just ordered the new Foxpro Krakatoa so i am hoping that will increase my odds. Also, coyote vocals is key as well.

I dont like too hunt when it is windy but usually dont have a choice. One thing i like about the wind is that it keeps your sound of walking in low and you odds of a spot n stalk go up.

Too windy?? = Staying home or scouting new areas.

And your scent gets dispersed quickly as the warm air rises off of you.Coyotes smell in parts per trillion so he will still get a wiff of you but he may think its an older scent,so he may hesitate giving you more time for a shot.

And as DDW was saying call to the down wind side of a hill or into deep cover,where the dogs may be holed up.Even if they are not hungry,if you use coyote sounds they will have to come out to enforce their territory boundries,they cant help themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buckshot5792How do you guys do when it is windy? Tomorrow is supposed to be sustained winds of 19 mph here tomorrow and it's raining all day today would you bother trying tomorrow evening or just wait it out another day?

Coyotes don't mind wind so much. As they do blowing snow/rain/freezing rain. I've spotted them lalying out amongst the foothills on well below zero WC days. I'm going on my 47th season spot/stalking Red Fox & coyote. They ALL prefer the down-wind. Whether the wind is slight or blowing hard.

Down-wind, as in a "wind brake area". OR any area that "assists" in "blocking the wind".

Here is a zoomed in pic of a bedded coyote on the down-wind slope of a foothill. Coyote is near 700yrds out from a gravel road. Coyote is also facing a down-wind direction.

1c2d4963.jpg

Blowing snow/rain/freezing rain = no hunt.
Wind = hunt.

Last edited:
Here is a visual cue, as to how canines like being out in da wind. Female Red Fox pup "facing into" a stout 20+mph NorWester.
Note, her ears are laid back & she issa squinting her eyes.
She aint liking it I suspect.

644a7684.jpg

She turned her head angling the stout wind. Ears still laid back.
52392609.jpg

This field was table top flat. Female pup turned away from the wind to bed down. Note her ears are up-right again. Hey, theres your sign
wink.gif
They prefer the down-wind, otherwise if they are out in the open wind. They'll put their backside or shoulder against the wind.
41883e68.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kirbyHEY! Rich, good to see yer stilla kickin
grin.gif

btw, you owe me a coffee? take'er black.
--------------------------

Stop by my house for FREE coffee sir. That WAS my hay bale in the photo now was it not?

The field that the coyote is bedded on is a 1/2 mile square hayfield, no hay bales. We was sitting on the gravel in my truck taking pics. Coyote seen us sitting there but was indiffernt. His mistake, as my buddy killed him.

I don't travel to far anymore. Mom won't let me
frown.gif

Been doing any hunting?

Back