much difference quality between howa 1500 and savage axis

geode

I see they're both cheaper rifles. Just curious which you'd all buy if you had to pick one or the other. Looks like the savage is slightly cheaper, but not too much.

howa by far. I love my Savage's but the axis is just a little too cheap for me. If it had a better stock and the accutriger then it might be a diffrent story.

I have axis in 223 and my son has a howa in 7-08 so ive shot and handled both. In my opinion they are both descent rifles for what they are and for the money. If I had my choice I would pick the howa over the axis. It feels better to me and I think a little higher quality.

hope this helps
Casey

I can pick up the howa in .223 with a 3-9x Nikko Sterling scope for $370 on sale locally. Anyone know anything about the scope? I'm sure its not a great one, but maybe passable?
I've been stewing hard on getting a .222 but trying to be practical, this gun would be cheaper to buy, cheaper to shoot, and would save me alittle money for one of those fancy new .17 hornets next summer that i've been eyeing up.
I'm really just looking for something to play with. My son is getting old enough to do some shooting and we are joining the local rifle range.

At that price hard to go wrong with the Howa. Nikko scope is probably ok for what you're doing. If that's at Scheels, I need to get down to my local store and check them out. The Axis seems to have gone a little too far to the budget end for my blood, but those who own them say they are shooters.

Looks like a good rifle and a good price to me.

I own 2 Howa's, am impressed by both.

I do own the Nikko scope too, it is on my Howa .223 as well. The glass is certainlly more clear than a entry budget scope like a centerpoint. It holds 0 well. I think it is a nice little scope for a hunting .223.

hunt-m-up,
its not at scheels, just a little farm and home store down here by me.

Thanks everyone. I think I can't go wrong by picking one up.

well, I picked up the Howa .223 today. I'm excited to get out and put some rounds thru it! At $370 it didn't break my bank account too much so I feel good about the purchase.

Thanks for the info everyone!

i picked up a howa in ,243 for 340 at a local ranch store great guns. the package deal was also 380 but i had a bushnell trophy xlt sitting around that needed a home and it topped the howa very nicely. i used the 40 bucks i saved by just getting the rifle and rings and got 2 boxes of ammo. youll be pretty happy with your purchase i know i was with mine. does it have the hogue stock?

The local Sportsmans Warehouse is running Weatherby Vanguards for $349. That is down from $399. That is a deal. The Vanguards tend to be heavy, but they are dead nuts accurate and the current triggers are nice. Having said that, I am left handed and refrain from buying wrong-handed guns. You righties get all the deals.

Savage has just announced a left hand Axis, so I may bite even though I don't really need one. It is a quality gun that happens to be cheap. The local WalMart has the Axis for $267. I expect the left hand version will be about $15 higher. A fifty cent trigger job and all is good.

Just to throw in a new wrinkle, look at the Marlin X series. They go for a little over $300 here and have an Accutrigger style trigger. All I have seen have been very accurate.

Can anyone tell me, does the Howa have an adjustable trigger?

The lack of an adjustable trigger, and a very heavy factory trigger pull, have been my main hesitation with buying the Axis.

Is the Howa adjustable?

Grouse

Originally Posted By: The Famous GrouseCan anyone tell me, does the Howa have an adjustable trigger?

The lack of an adjustable trigger, and a very heavy factory trigger pull, have been my main hesitation with buying the Axis.

Is the Howa adjustable?

Grouse

The Howa has a good adjustable trigger. The Axis trigger is easily modded to a good pull, but that includes clipping the trigger spring or replacing it with a lighter spring. Savageshooters.com has a section of how tos for the Axis.

I'm kind of a savage guy because of all the things I can do to them my self. That said if I had to chose between a Howa and Axis it would be Howa all the way. My BinL left his Howa here so he could fly in for hunts and I'd check zero before he arrived and it was a nice gun. He did trade it for a Tikka just because the gun was so heavy(varmint barrel) but I think he bought a Ranchhand or Ranchland to keep at his place.

Back