how do you attract predators to a game camera?

Tyler Burgin

Picked up 2 game cameras because I'm curious what my property holds. I have 10 acres of very thick timber that buts up to a state forest. I've spotted redfox one grey fox and bow hunters on me have seen bobcats and a few coyotes on rare occassions. I placed the cameras in 2 seperate draws placing duck carcasses from todays hunt in front of them. Since these birds have been dressed I know it won't hold their attention long if at all. We've caught coons and opposums feeding on carcasses before so I'm sure they will show up on the cam but I wanna know how to get predators if there is any, to become movie stars. Is there a way to bait for bobcat and fox? And what would u suggest overall. One bait on one cam different bait on the other? Any suggestions would be great

Tyler,
To attract critters to my trail cam, I've made the usual dirt hole set, complete with bait and coyote gland lure and urine. You won't attract any birds, just pulls in what you are trying to target. (Coyote, fox. etc)
I tried the deer carcass thing and you will get hundreds of pictures of all kinds of birds during the day. If that is what you are trying to target, it's a good method.
For bobcats, I got two different types of bobcat lure from a trapping supply place. I use both of these on the edges of clearings with the cam aimed at the spot I where put the lures. Has worked good so far.
Have fun with it! I really like my trail cam. Just got another one that I haven't even set out yet.

Where can I get coyote gland scents? And if you don't mind me asking what scent are the lures your seeing bobcats with? I'd be less surprised to see cats and foxes in my woods than coyotes I think it'll be interesting none the less no matter what comes in

I set my trail cameras where two travel routes cross each other and put some trapping lure out right in front of the camera.

I know animals will walk by the camera, the trapping lure just gets them to stop and stay in front of the camera for a longer period of time.

112.jpg

TRCNov10198.jpg

501.jpg

The spot that these three pictures were taken there is a road crossing a canyon bottom. So anything walking in the road or up and down the canyon bottom walks right in front of the camera.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobI know animals will walk by the camera, the trapping lure just gets them to stop and stay in front of the camera for a longer period of time.
That's why I'm doing it this way. I can get lots of cool pics because of the time they stick around.
I also got some video.

Back