T/C encore handgun for Coyotes - What caliber should I buy?

buckskull

I am looking to leave the rifle behind and carry a contender or encore along with a shotgun....Does anyone have any experience hunting coyotes with a handgun? I would like a low recoil round like the 204 Ruger but am not sure how it would perform out of a 15" barrel?

depending on what distance you are planning on shooting. i would not go below the 223 but what do i know this is just my personal insite in the subject nothing to back it up

I have a 16.5" .221 Contender barrel that is perfect. You will want a scope with a wide field of view and decent shooting sticks.

I also use SP's for coyotes, and love my 17 FB XP-100. Have gone all the way up to 6.5 as well. Am now using a 22-250 Striker. If you're trying to get some range out of it i'd go to the 204 as u suggest, and/or 223 and up with the bigger bullets--

17 FB at ~ 250--

031_31.jpg

Trying to shot them accurately in the field is a challenge sometimes. Here's the system i use mostly for field use--

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

Last edited:
Nice set up. What scope. Using a rifle scope on a handgun takes some getting use to.

I am kinda surprised that a .204 shooting any bullet doesn't just splash off when launched from a handgun. I will defer to those who know though.

And a nonrepeating gun at that. How can that be.

Last edited:
223 is proven in the Contender. I was thinking about a .204 Ruger, but have been somewhat thwarted by naysayers who have done some experimenting. I do have a 18 inch 221 FB that has been very accurate and effective. Currently I am looking for a frame for a 223 AI barrel I acquired.

Thanks for the info gents....I am trying to stay with something that is as fur friendly as I can get. I am in upstate NY and most shots are 100 yrds and under.

My 17 FB was almost perfect for that application, but if i'd have had a 20 (that worked) i think that would have been my go-to rig. I actually have a 20 BR that nets ~34-3500 from the 50 Berger but i can't get it to shoot great (lower gun)--

IMG_1372.jpg

Riflescopes take some getting used to (about 10 shots or so), but they work great IMO. Here's a dog taken with my buddies 22-250 Striker at ~150 or so (at this time he had a 4.5-14x Burris FFII, and did get hit by it the 1st time he shot it, but it never happened again)--

008_8.jpg

The Striker's are usually great shooters. Here's that same rig with 2 different groups and 2 different scopes on it at 425 yds.--

IMG_1328.jpg

028_28.jpg

BFR above has some nice stuff he shoots at long range. John LK also shoots coyotes with his SP (XP-100 6-223, i think). He takes a lot of nice fur using that rig out to ~ 300 or so--
http://www.thenpha.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=78048&gonew=1#UNREAD

i have a dozen yote barrels in a TC Contender, all super 14s. The 223 is a one holer at 100 yards, the 17 Rem, 22 hornet are my favorites and all shoot great- you need to work up each load for each gun barrel. I use to shoot sihlo with the TCU families- all great stuff. But My hat is off to these gents with the yotes because as soon as that target grows ears and turns into a yote I educate them. Have shot everything else; foxes, cats, deer,... but them yotes run faster than my brain and trigger finger when working w a short shooter. To answer your question; none of the varmint calibers recoil, you just need to work up the right load for that twist and barel length.

Gunny--i could never hit one on the move--don't think i ever have actually. Some guy over at specialty pistols website killed one running at 250 or so though--i about fell over when i heard that.

Originally Posted By: sscoyoteThe Striker's are usually great shooters. Here's that same rig with 2 different groups and 2 different scopes on it at 425 yds.--

IMG_1328.jpg

What's the diameter of that plate? And do you get extry points for hitting the poles?
thumbup.gif

By the way, what brand is that seat you're using in the pics above? I haven't been able to find the ones by Primos. I have several seats, but none have the back rest.

Last edited:
I get them to stand still and I cant hit them with a pistol. Had that pistol bug for years, some 50-60 hunting pistols later I am back to a rifle or throwing stones.

buckskull, I have used a 223 in a tc encore pistol. I had a 204 and it was only accurate with 32gr bullets. the best bullet in the 223 was the hornady 50grsp no 2245. It worked good on frontal shots that were common when calling.

the scope I had the best luck with was the simmons pistol scope in 2x. the eye relief on the simmons was the shortest
for a pistol scope since I shoot from a sitting position holding the encore along side of a stick. I also have variable pistol scopes by burris, nikon in 2x7 power. but when hunting coyotes I like the simmons 2x.

at this time coyote hunting is slow and I'm using a 223 rem rifle. If it picks up at a later date, more called in coyotes, I will go back to my pistol in 223 rem. spike

How about the .221 FB ? It was designed for use in pistols and should get good velocity from a shorter barrel. It performs about like a .22 hornet but usualy is more accurate.

The seat above is just any old soft-sided stadium seat covered in a burlap bag for "camo-effect". The side straps are resewn closer to the seat for a tighter fit--way better stability. I also attach another snap on the ends of the side straps for hands-free carry around my waist--

IMG_0926.jpg

I think u do get extra points for hitting the poles on that tgt. [18" diameter BTW). I'll have to ask the Rangemaster.

Back