How far have you followed a wounded coyote?

About a year ago i was driving down a ranch road on some property i had permission on and saw a doe and what i thought was a fawn walking through the field. or at least i thought it was a fawn until i looked closer and noticed it was a coyote. i stopped the jeep and got the rifle and let one fly. the coyote dropped in its tracks and i put the rifle back in the jeep and began walking out to claim my coyote. or so i thought. i made it about 50 yards out in the field and the coyote gets up and begins spinning in circles while draggging both back legs. i turn and run back to the jeep grab the rifle and shoot 2 more times. but im out of breath and cant keep a good bead on it so im pretty sure i missed both times. the coyote then magically begns running full bore up the hill.i run out to where impact was and see some good blood on the ground. it stops about a 400 yards up and beds down. i shoulda let it lie but again i thought it was done for. i walk about 40 yards from it and it begins running again this time over the hill i ran up to the top of the hill and see the coyote about a quarter mile out on the back side by a grain elevator. it beds down again so i run back to the jeep and drive out to the elevator about 3/4 of a mile from where i first shot it and its no where to be seen. it ran into the wheat field and i didnt wanna go tromping through there and pisss the farmer off so i never did recover it.

I had a coyote come on in on a stand up in Kingman, Az, I was on the scope, when the coyote spooked at something, and headed back out. I stayed on scope, and the coyote paused about 125 yards out. I sent the shot, heard a solid hit. But when I got to the spot, the coyote was gone. I spotted the coyote limping off. turns out that the bullet had impacted the midsection and not the chest. I tried to angle for a broadside shot, but the coyote spotted me and keot changing directions. I tracked it for over 2 miles before it go into the thick brush, and I lost it. I then had to back track and find my stand to break it down. That is still one that haunts me. I know that I had lined up for a good shot, but I blew it.

Didn't take the dog out with me one day and buddy mine shot one I called in within 10 yrds and he squeezed off a quick shot and hair flew. The coyote dropped and took off on a dead run heading for another zip code. After shooting an arsenal of rounds at the coyote and missing. I decided to track it while buddy went and got the truck. I made it half mile before my buddy got to me with the truck following a very good blood trail. We then drove along the trail for little over another half mile before finding the coyote curled up in some buck brush. I then put one more round in the coyote to finish him off right when he was getting up for another race across the countryside. When I walked my tired butt up to where he was and went to load him there wasn't much for guts left in the dang thing. Just shows how tough them varmints are. I will never go out without my dog again after that chase.

I shot 1 about 2 years ago at about 200 +or-. Hit him in the right shoulder. He dropped like a sack of taters and got up and took off. Piled up after about 50 yards. Emptied my gun on him. Went out to where he was and found fresh tracks in the dirt and follwed in the direction he went. I looked for about 45 minutes and never found him. The next time I went to the range I found out why I hit him in the shoulder. I was 1.5 inches to the right at 100 yards. I fixed that problem and good to go.

Tony

About a mile. I shot one in the chest with my 44 mag. while deer hunting 10 years ago or so. It jumped in the air and did ki-yi's then took off into the brush. followed it for several hours with good blood trail in snow before i caught up to it . shot it a second time on the run and it piled up in a brushpile. after tanning it measured six feet from nose to tip of tail. Our local fur buyer said it was the biggest he had in his shop that season. I was just happy it was done killing deer:)

Let me get this straight....alot of folks on this site don't even put up their downed fur. Shoot a coyote and leave 'em lay.

But you guys'll trail a hit coyote for over a mile and sometimes up to three ?

Quite the cross-section.

I shot one running at 160+ yards and it went end over end, into some weeds. By the time I got to it, it was gone, but bleeding all the way.

I followed it until it got too dark to follow...approx. 200 yards and still bleeding. I've followed my share of blood trails and there's no way this coyote lived.

Somewhere in the middle of tracking this coyote, I heard a mournful howl. Long, low and slow. I've been told that was a "death howl", but don't know that for sure.

Bowhunter57

60yds is about the furthest I've had to go; spent ALOT more time trying to find my brass in the weeds!!!
thumbdown.gif

I tracked one for about 2 to 3 miles zig zagging through the woods. Bleading bad and found two spots where it laid down and then all of a sudden it quit bleading. I don't think it had any blood left in it. Never did find it. Evan went back with a buddy and went further on it and it kept going.

lol about the brass,
i shot a bull elk one time and when my cousin came up i was still walking around looking for my brass
it was a 270 weatherby mag.
mike said it sounded like a semi auto when i shot three times paused then shot three more.
after 40 minutes of looking for the brass i reached in my pocket and there they were.
i don't even remember catching each casing and putting it in my pocket.
i hit the bull every shot twice in the head but i wasn't letting him back into the timber or any farther downhill.
all my hunting partners answered my shots as three shots mean you need help or are lost.
as far as following coyotes i followed one poorly hit coyote i hit on the first stand of the day around in circles up and down mountains tell after dark.
i have no idea how far it was but after driving home rigamortis set in in my muscles and i could barely walk into the house when i got home.

Originally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittLet me get this straight....alot of folks on this site don't even put up their downed fur. Shoot a coyote and leave 'em lay.

Quite the cross-section.

Alot of the coyotes I've killed had mange. You don't always know they have it til you can get 'em up close. If they have it I leave 'em if they don't and they look good I will skin 'em up. Straight ?

About 600yds to the first cover he could find. Saw tracks going into a group of trees with none coming out. Went in with the shotgun. He jumped at about 10 feet. 4 buck, dead coyote!

Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittLet me get this straight....alot of folks on this site don't even put up their downed fur. Shoot a coyote and leave 'em lay.

Quite the cross-section.

Alot of the coyotes I've killed had mange. You don't always know they have it til you can get 'em up close. If they have it I leave 'em if they don't and they look good I will skin 'em up. Straight ?

No not really....a mile ? 3 miles ? Really ? For a coyote ?

How many times have we been deer hunting with guys and have them give up a blood trail after 250 yards ? For a deer ! And yet , guy's here are claiming to trail a coyote for 3 miles.

That's ,uh, pretty impressive.

Originally Posted By: Aaron_Proffittguy's here are claiming to trail a coyote for 3 miles.

That's ,uh, pretty impressive.

He11, back when I was a smoker I would of walked six miles for a Marlboro if'n I needed to.

Were several times when I ran out of the coffin nails I almost resorted to taking a couple puffs on a hot exhaust pipe!

But I ain't trailing no stinkin wounded coyote for 3 miles!

Not hard to do in the snow. If you stay in shape, 3 or 4 miles is nothing. I do so there you have it. I put up everything that's worth puttin' up.

I was the very first coyote I shot.
It was a night hunt.
Had it come in to about 30 yards shot it with a shot gun he tumbled over head over heals.
It got up took of so I shot it again and rolled it again then it jumped up and hauled @ss.
I followed a good blood trail for about 300 -400 yards .
Then all I could find was a drop hear and a drop there for 600 yards from were I shot it.
It crossed in to a pasture I didn't have permission to hunt on it.

Quit smokin 345 days ago. Got new found wind. We usually walk about 15 miles on a good weekend anyway while hunting.....whats another 2.

Back