snowmobile for yote hunting?

deerslyr1

Ok so this winter is gonna be my 1st year seriouly going after yotes. i have a camp in north central mass that is very icolated and the area is heavily wooded( tough for calling yotes) but i i have snowmobiles,lots of trails,small ponds,and powerlines. the powerlines are the only place that you could shoot past 100yds, all the lines in my area are hilly with maybe 1/4-1/2 between hills on average, so my quetion is do alot of guys on here use snowmobile to do run and gun type calling? hows the effect of the noise of the sleds on the yotes? my thinking is ride up and down the lines in areas i have seen tracks and call then move to the next hill/area. anyone use this method with sucess?? i also know of a couple of deer yarding areas that yotes get into and push the deer around in hard during deep snow, again only accessable by snowmobile or one crazy long snow shoe hike.thx

I know in maine coyotes are so used to sleds that they use the snowmobile trails as their major travel routes in the winter. i know of half a dozen people who have run coyotes over with a sled because they would'nt get out of the trail ( Thats a rough way to go ). But like anywhere that yotes get alot of pressure you can ride by em all day and they'll just look at you but the second you stop the sled they're outta there.

Kinda like using an atv to get around. I worry about the exhaust smell and getting busted cuz of it.....

Last edited:
I know of several guys in Colorado that have run over coyotes sledding
It illegal to shoot from or carry a loaded long gun while riding so they find it easier.

Yeah you might worry about the exhaust smell especially a sled( 2 stroke) but if thats the difference between getting to an area and not, then I think you might as well go for it. I know some areas the snow gets so deep its really the only way to get to them.

ya sleds are 2 stroke.... but like said alot of these (most ) are far off the beaten path and you can get there by foot or by sled....thats a long walk in the snow.

I am not sure how well hunting of a snowmobile will work this year. Here in Massachusetts things are very green right now. That outlines one problem. Snowmobiles are great to use but you need snow to operate them in. If you have a mild winter with little or no snow they you are out of luck getting into the back country.

Originally Posted By: massbigbore442001I am not sure how well hunting of a snowmobile will work this year. Here in Massachusetts things are very green right now. That outlines one problem. Snowmobiles are great to use but you need snow to operate them in. If you have a mild winter with little or no snow they you are out of luck getting into the back country.

obviously we need snow....non yet, but it will come, i still have one more week of chaseing deer before i start going all predator.....
if we dont have snow i have a atv...same idea

We use them all the time for hound hunting baiting or calling.

45 pound male
a2011coyotewithhounds006.jpg

adoublecoyote2011.jpg

P1010318.jpg

Originally Posted By: Uncle MikeWe use them all the time for hound hunting baiting or calling.

45 pound male
a2011coyotewithhounds006.jpg

adoublecoyote2011.jpg

P1010318.jpg

nice...! my thinking is that these are main snowmobile trails anyway so the mutts should be used to hearing sleds in the distance.....i hope

I,ve had pretty good luck (3 for 3), one fox and 2 yotes. The trick is at least 144 1.375" carbide tip studs, it reminds be of a meat grinder when you are done.

Originally Posted By: deerslyr1Ok so this winter is gonna be my 1st year seriouly going after yotes. i have a camp in north central mass that is very icolated and the area is heavily wooded( tough for calling yotes) but i i have snowmobiles,lots of trails,small ponds,and powerlines. the powerlines are the only place that you could shoot past 100yds, all the lines in my area are hilly with maybe 1/4-1/2 between hills on average, so my quetion is do alot of guys on here use snowmobile to do run and gun type calling? hows the effect of the noise of the sleds on the yotes? my thinking is ride up and down the lines in areas i have seen tracks and call then move to the next hill/area. anyone use this method with sucess?? i also know of a couple of deer yarding areas that yotes get into and push the deer around in hard during deep snow, again only accessable by snowmobile or one crazy long snow shoe hike.thx

Sounds like you have a plan already.Dont worry about the sound and smell,they hear snow machines all winter.
I would get some elevation on your power lines and put the caller down in the dip.If your worried about noise wait a bit before you call.
The terrain here in the east dictates that we switch our tactics.To many people try to call like out west on the videos.When it comes to coyote callin,there are no bad ideas,try it and see if it works.
And for God sakes,nix the rabbit calls,your trying to call coyotes,use coyote vocals mixed with prey sounds,make them think a strange dog is raiding the territory. And you may want to switch to a scattergun.
I would deffinatly call near those deer yards,and if you bait,I dont like to sit on bait,but I like to call off it,really gets the coyotes mad to know somebody is raiding the pantry!!

Last edited:
Back