257 roberts ?

Ruger 77 Mk II in 257 Roberts myself. Shooting 115 grain Nosler Custom Ammunition. Trajectory is awful close to 243 out to 400 yards on those, at nearly twice the energy.

Awesome deer round, to say the least! Not going to give up my 243 any time soon, as it has a little more reach than the Bob, but the 257 kicks azz in it's domain.

JD - That remington 700 classic is a sweet rifle.
My .275 roberts is a pre-64 model 70 and my favorite rifle and cartridge hands down. It shoots what ever I feed it well but 100 grain partitions are the main thing.
It kills blacktail bucks and coyotes like lightning.
In our world of bigger faster newer is better I didn't realize so many people still liked the ol 257.

I live in wide open country but there are hunting areas where I can expect shots at mule deer under 250 yards so I then my take my Ruger 257 Roberts rifle. But for most of my pronghorn and mule deer hunting I have used the 25-06 Rem or other flat shooting rifles. If I hunted deer in wooded area where the shots were close in the 257 would be a fine rifle for me to use.

I have a Tang Safety Model 77 Ruger in .257 Roberts, that my sons and I have taken several Whitetails with. I had been shooting factory loads, but worked up a Handload 2 years ago. Shooting a 87gr. Speer Hot Core, with Varget powder. Its a fine shootn rifle! My .243 and 06 have been collecting dust.

Originally Posted By: AOJD - That remington 700 classic is a sweet rifle.
My .275 roberts is a pre-64 model 70 and my favorite rifle and cartridge hands down. It shoots what ever I feed it well but 100 grain partitions are the main thing.
It kills blacktail bucks and coyotes like lightning.
In our world of bigger faster newer is better I didn't realize so many people still liked the ol 257.

AO

The 257 Roberts rocks. Long live the Bob!

JD338

That is a excellent load, and I love all my 257,s
even the Weatherby 257 Mag. What ever lights my fire for the day is what I will carry.. 223, 22-250, 250-3000, 243 257,257Mag.
I have loved them all at one time or another.. Taken coyote's
deer and Antelope at one time or the other with all but the
223 & 22-250.. It come's down to how much powder you fill like burning to get the job done.. All of them do it just fine... Dead is Dead if the aim is right....

Recall a conversation with a gunsmith about 5 years ago. He was going to rebarrel a small ring mauser action for me and the 257R was one of several cartridges he recommended and I decided on this cartridge.

Somewhere in our conversation, retreading a take off 257R barrel came up....gunsmith chuckled and said, "forget that, anyone with a 257R keeps it forever and only has it rebarreled when the bore is shot out."

I now have three 257R rifles, two on mauser actions and a Ruger Hawkeye.

I have a Ruger 77R that shoots the 85gr Noslers very well, also did well with the 100gr Speers. I use mine mainly as a varminter/plinker.

I have a savage model 10 I re-barreled (also cut and recrowned barrel @ 19") with a adams and bennett .257Rob. After shooting It and playing with it I have made it my all around gun. I deer hunt with it .. and keep it in the truck 365. I have a woderful load(at least my gun likes it) with a 100gr BT. I got rid of or rebarreled all my other "bigger bore" savages to .222 and .22-250.
In short I highly reccommend the 257 Roberts.

Had Shaw build me a 250 Ackley barrel and it is close to the Roberts ballistically (just a bit shorter OAL)... couldn't be happier... 110 accubond for antelope, deer and elk (kids use it for elk) and 85 gr. Nosler BT on coyotes... shoots under 1" out of a 6 1/2 lb. rifle... Don't think you can go wrong with a 25 caliber...

Back