savage model 24

FURCHASER12

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to scope one and use it. I know it says not to shot shotgun barrel with scope mounted right on the side of the gun but from what i have found that is there to keep people from hittinng themselves in the eye with the scope. I found one in 22mag over 20ga and figured that it would be a good fox gun. i found see though 22 scope mounts so you could use sights for shotgun and use scope for 22mag. These guns have interested me lately but i have never been around them much. thanks

You may not have too much trouble with the .20 gauge but the .12 gauge I had wouldn't hold zero after firing the shotgun barrel some. Also, my shotgun barrel didn't pattern where the rifle shot and that was a concern that I had to apply Kentucky windage and try to remember where to hold in the excitement of the shot. The gun was also pretty heavy and bulky. I think this is a good idea that seldom works out in reality.

"...my shotgun barrel didn't pattern where the rifle shot..." That's been my experience with the vast majority of Savage 24's. They didn't take the time to regulate the barrel like a more expensive combination gun producers do.

You'll probably have a hard time getting a scope to sit still if it's only being held on with a dovetail mount. Even a 20 gauge produces a far greater recoil than the rimfire rifles the dovetails are designed for.

Last edited:
I figured the shotgun wouldnt pattern where the rifle barrel shot if I used the same scope for both barrels so that why I was looking for see through mounts(and found some) so I could use both sights and scope. We test fired it yest on paper and it put both mag shots in the bullseye and the shotgun suprised me with the pattern it through evenly around the bullseye. those shots were with the open sites. I know it's not going to be a long range hole cutter but I figured it might work for fox around here in the woods and brush

I have a model 24f with a 3x9 scope that I use for coyotes sometimes. It works well and holds zero. My only complaint is its slow to reload if you call in 2 or 3. It is a223 over 12.

Not a 24 but 12ga over 5.6x50R Mag and it works well with a 1x4x20mm scope. The FOV at 1x is huge and can be shot with both eyes open, even on flying birds I usually keep some 5s handy for the trip back to the truck. At 4x it is a good rig for preds at 300yrds.

This summer take those combo guns out to the trap range and practice shooting clays with the scope.

Had a 24V 223 over 20ga with a 1x3x20mm scope on it and it worked just as well just a little slower than my 2 trigger.

Dogsandrifles008.jpg

Fur- i have a 24d in 22mag/20. i have shot a lot of coyotes with the 20 ga barrel. the 22 mag is not real good on coyotes. ity has a 1.5-4.5 bush nell scope on it . never came close to hitting me. foxes and turkey it is awesome.

i shoot using the scope. shotgun prints a little lower than the rifle. i got it for CHristmas.around 1965. rifle shoots about 3/4 inch at 100. the 2 3/4 and 3 inch buckshot is very tight pattern. even 40 yards. i would not consider using see through mounts. at 40 yard i would hold a little above the ears.

i also had an ithaca tikka 12 ga 222 for several years. and briefly had a savage 222 20. the combo gun is an interesting idea. the savage/valmet 2400 looks nice.

Back