Rem 700 still not ejecting brass !!!!!!

coyotekrazy

I posted on here a week or so ago about my rem 22-250 not ejecting the brass out... they basically just do a flop and land back on top of my bullet ready to be fed into the chamber.
So I just replaced the extractor with a new extractor hoping this wpould solve the problem (NOPE) didn't help it at all. So my next question is when I replace the ejector parts does that only consist of the ejector pinn and the ejector spring ???
Is there any thing else I need to order from Brownells to fix this problem.. I am placing the order tomorrow just figured I would get some input from anybody that wants to share some knowledge.

Hmmmmmm- Extractor extracts, ejector ejects??? I suggested the ejector was fubar. It may not be stuck but it may not be the correct length or its weak. You said it extracted but didn't eject, right?? I had a rifle that someone had shortened the ejector spring so it wouldn't throw the brass. It just nicely dropped it in the receiver. I'll probably be corrected but I would try a new ejector spring if it were me. JMO!!

To answer your question, all you probably need is a new spring. You might try stretching the one you have and see if it helps. If it does then get a new one. Heck, you might find something that works at Ace hardware. Once again JMO.

Last edited:
make sure the ejector hole is not full of carbon and causing the problem. Push on it with a tool and see if its loose, pull it out n clean the hole out, try new spring, one or all of those things should work. I had one hanging up from blown primers and carbon, also had a firing pin hang up on another from blown primers

If memory serves me, all that holds the ejector pin in the bolt is a very small spring pin. Be really, really careful and drive it out with a small punch. The ejector and spring will come out, usually very quickly, so be ready. Best way is to get a BIG zip lock bag and put the bolt in it and then remove the pin. Should come right out. You might look in a Mid-Way book, they usually have the parts and a blow-up pic to show you what you need.

I've never heard of a 700 doing this, but it was common for the model 788 and I ain't heard it all yet so I'll mention it.

Make sure it's not ejecting the case into the scope windage knob and it's bouncing right back in the action.

When a 788 does this it happens so fast you would swear it's not ejecting, but it really is. Well at least trying to.

Just something simple to check for.

One of my 700VS models does this on occasion. Instead of launching the brass, it pukes it right on top of the follower.

I reload so this isn't too much of a problem, but definitely isn't the way it is supposed to be.

Take a piece of spent brass and put it on the bolt face.Hold the brass in place while compressing the ejector. Use the new ejector to push out the pin on the side of the bolt. Ease the brass away, clean the heck out of the hole. Reverse. Super simple. Notch in the ejector faces the pin

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cody270I have a brand new 700 .223 with less than 50 rnds through it that is doing this too.

Remmy had a batch of 700 with the same problem a year or so back.
Their fix, is a new extractor.
My understanding is that you could either send the rifle in for repair, or they'd simply send you a new extractor and you could replace it your self.

I still think it's the extractor.
Are you sure you didn't bend the new one when you installed it?
No offence intended, but it's pretty easy to do.
IIRC, Brownells has some pretty good how-to's in their tech section that might reveal something.

Good luck with it, and do let us know when you finally get it sorted out. (Which I'm confident will happen.)

My Rem started to do this when I changeed it from 300 Sav to 22-250. The 22-250 rim is slightly smaller than the 300 and would slip out from under the extractor.

Easy check Load a fired case into the chamber and close the bolt. Slowly open the bolt and watch the casing as you pull the bolt back. If the casing drops away from bolt face befor the neck clears the ejection port it is the extractor.

If as your extracting it and it starts to pop out as the neck clearrs the ejection port but falls back into the action again it is likely to be the extractor. Next time as your pulling the bolt back press on the base of the casing horizontaly from right to left just after the case neck clears the chamber but not the ejection port. If it pops off the boltface it is the extractor or the brass rim is undersised for that bolt face.

At this point if the brass is still in the bolt face press on the shoulder of the cartridge it should be slightly angled against the right side of the reciever and should spring back and forth, if it doesn't you have an ejector problem.

Ejectors rarely fail and are easy to check just press on them they should travel about an 1/8" and spring back briskly. Dirt, WD-40, Rust and Excessive high pressure are the major villians in ejector failures.

I had to have a Sako extractor installed and have the bolt face bushed slightly smaller.

If this is a newer Rem I'd call Rem and see about having them fix it.

Last edited:
I messed it with it a bit more checking a few things after reading the suggestions. I pushed on the brass horizontaly as it cleared the chamber and i could not get the brass to fall from the bolt face. i tried this a few times and it never did fall from the bolt face. it feels like it has a pretty good hold.

AXS seems to have pretty much nailed how to diagnose your problem. Great advice AWS!! Still sounds like an ejector problem seeing that you already replaced the extractor with a new one. I had a chunk of primer get caught up in my ejector once and was an SOB to remove and cause similar problems. The ejector is a piece of cake to remove. So just get busy and fix it!!

Didn't read the old thread, nor all the posts in this one so sorry if someone mentioned this already.

Is the brass hitting the scope or turret and then falling back in the rifle? I've seen it a few times.

Originally Posted By: coyotekrazyhow does the ejector pin and spring come apart after it is unthreaded from the bolt itself.

'unthreaded'?? Are you talking about the mainspring and firing pin?? We are referring to the ejector button and the spring under it that is secured with a pin through the bolt perpendicular to the axis of the bolt. Take the advice from the poster that mentioned taking an empty case, hooking the rim under the extractor, and pivoting it into the 'ejector' button to see if you can push it in and out using the case as a lever. If the 'ejector' button is flush with the bolt face all the time that is your problem and what I thought was wrong when you first posted. TTT

Back