Badgers in AZ?

Kingzero

Born and raised in AZ (28 years) and have never seen a badger. I would really like to get one but have no idea where to look.

Any locals with some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any other advice on the types of habitat they like is welcome also.

Happy holidays to all.
thumbup1.gif

I would look for some agriculture land that has small rodents and grain. I have always seen them in pastures and harvested fields or close by.

I have seen a few, and had one come out of a den about 20 yards from where I was calling. I see dens pretty often and usually find the dens in areas that are flat and fairly soft. The den will be freshly dug with a 8" - 10" hole and a mound of dirt piled up on one side of it. As Bear said, most of the one's I have seen have also been pretty close to agricultural areas, but not right in them. Also usually in areas fairly open, but with a lot of Mesquite.

Personally, if I was on your side of town, I'd be walking the areas just inside some of those mesquite covered washes east of San Tan Valley.

Badgers primarily eat rodents and capture them by digging down into their burrows. Look for badgers in areas that have sandy loam soils with lots of rodent burrows. Badgers are found statewide in AZ, but prefer the flatter more open terrain with deep soils.

We have a ton of badgers up here in the northeastern part of the state. They respond well to hand calls and will come right up on you. We find the majority of them along the edges of the washes in the sage prairies.

My brother saw one in the middle of hwy 95 south of Quartzsite all POed cause his hole got flooded out after a good rain early last month.

Last edited:
Look around the areas around the dairies and the irrigation fields. I've seen several in the afternoon along the irrigation ditches when driving by the dairy farms.

I should have taken a couple pictures of the area around so you get a better idea what to look for, but as I was setting up a coyote stand today, this one popped his head out of his den...

100_0035.jpg

I've hunted the Nogales/ Tucson area for almost 20 years. I've only seen one and only heard of 2 being shot by buddys. After moving to the Yuma area I saw a dozen or so in less than a year. They're pretty dense out here, it's gotta be the sandy soil and abundance of rodents others have mentioned.

I shot one and the taxidermist wanted 700 for a full mount. I ended up tossing him, wish I had at least kept the pelt

Originally Posted By: WebopperI should have taken a couple pictures of the area around so you get a better idea what to look for, but as I was setting up a coyote stand today, this one popped his head out of his den...

100_0035.jpg

Sweet, Congrats. Those are some wicked claws.

Originally Posted By: Kerby Ross$700 is reasonable for a lifesize badger.....that's what I charge as well.

smile.gif

Kerby...

Yeah, I'd never had a small animal mounted and figured they'd be less than a deer shoulder mount. I've since been told that's within the norm as they involve quite a bit of work. Couldn't justify the expense at the time... The next one will definitely find its way onto my wall in some shape or form.

Originally Posted By: nastynatesfishOld post revised
I've seen a couple over the last few days hunting. Is there a season on them or year round?? I want one rugged bad

Same season as Foxes and Bobcats. August 1st 2012 - March 31st 2013. If you see another one, blast him.

Back