ALASKA: Predation: Moose, Wolves and Bears

Hey guys in Southcentral . . .

Anybody score on the moose opener? I saw sign...no spikes or forks nor 3 brow tines. The monsters seem to be up high close to timberline; sign and tall scrapes. Wx too hot. Some wolf sign. Will be combining moose/bear (Black and Griz) and Wolf efforts on each trip. The moose will thank us as that predation is tearing them up really badly. Most of my friends now always buy a Grizzly tag in an effort to take 1 Grizzly every year to do their part in keeping the numbers down.

At the next Game Board meeting I'll put forth 2 ideas (neither of which will fly due to bunny-hugger pressure from Lower 48) in addition to shooting Wolves from the air again:
1. That Brown Bear be baited along with the Blacks in the same way. That would be a blast! The Grizzlys ran the Black bears out of my Black Bear baiting area this year!
2. In the Hard hit southcentral units (for instance, (like 14, 13 and 16) that before taking a moose, a man needs to First harvest either a Black Bear, Grizzly Bear or a Wolf.

For those who don't like that, consider that we've already lost our winter moose season this year cuz of the predation anyway. When I call I always need to bring 2 rifles: a .17 Remington and .45-70 with 540 gr. bullets to be safe and cover the bases.

I was hunting the Mat-Su Valley area.

Anybody else have luck or input?

Keep ur powder dry . . .

Cas in Alaska

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE: www.cgdevelopment.net
Referral # 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com

Referral# 779609

Do to working, I couldn't get out on opening day (monday, crap!) but plan to go tomorrow (wednesday, YAY!). We also buy grizz tags and bring out caribou and sheep and goat tags too, in some areas you never know what you'll find
smile.gif
We usually bring our varmint guns too, for the drive to the hunting areas, but not when we're day hunting, we onyl have 3 gun boots, and we put our bear/moose guns in them. I'll still shoot a wolf/coyote/fox with my .375
smile.gif
makes no difference to me, I'll just have to sew more
smile.gif
Good luck to you Cas, you hunting the valley? We plan to go further up north hunting on the weekends, but if I got kick some brush tomorrow it'll just be a lil day trip out to the valley. All you other alaskans, once you get your moose, let us know the areas we should be hunting
wink.gif

Cas,

I managed to see a legal bull and the biggest wolf I have ever seen. It was a nice blond color, I had also never seen that color hide befor on a wolf.

The only catch was I was driving back from Fairbanks. The wolf was outside of Healy and the moose was just south of the Denali Hwy. I cussed my self all the way home for not taking the rifle. Most of the moose that I spotted up north were all still high inj the mountains.

Good luck to you though.

I haven't been out this year yet because of work and I also drew a moose hunt in December on Ft. Richardson. My Dad and brother are going up on the Haul Road for Caribou. Last year they seen 2 wolves and 1 grizzly. This year they're taking griz tags with them in hopes of taking one,they also seen 7 red fox.I hope to get out within the month to do some calling.
Take Care,
Dogman

DOGMAN, USE THAT TAG!!!

Last year, during the muzzleloader season we wer hunting small game on ft. rich and spotted 3 LEGAL BULLS in one day!! We also saw two other that fell between the lagal sizes and half a dozen cows...FROM THE ROAD!! On of the bulls had 3 brow tines, one of them was a fork on both sides, and one was a 1 x 3. The other two: One was a 2 brow tine, and the other was medium size palms, 1 brow on each side...There are sooooo many moose out there!! I'm begging you, USE THAT TAG!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Alaskan Yoter:
Cas,

I managed to see a legal bull and the biggest wolf I have ever seen. It was a nice blond color, I had also never seen that color hide befor on a wolf.

The only catch was I was driving back from Fairbanks. The wolf was outside of Healy and the moose was just south of the Denali Hwy. I cussed my self all the way home for not taking the rifle. Most of the moose that I spotted up north were all still high inj the mountains.

Good luck to you though.

Thanks Yoter. ALWAYS ALWAYS have your rifle with you!! Hope you poke a hole in that wolf next time! :)

------------------
For a GREAT Business Opportunity,
and OUTSTANDING shopping experience...
EXPLORE: www.cgdevelopment.net
Referral # 779609
Password: guest
And: www.quixtar.com

Referral# 779609

Back