Coyote Canine Tooth Collection?

GooseGrease

Does anyone collect the canine teeth of the coyotes they bag? If so, how do you go about extracting them after the kill? If you don't mind show me how you display them. Lanyard? Necklace? Box? Thanks in advance.

I've got a whole yard full of them. The dogs will drag a coyote skull from the brush pile, to chew on. I have canine teeth laying all over the place. I get asked all the time what they are.
smile.gif

Tony

I was just thinking about hanging them from my call lanyard. Thats probably the duck hunter in me coming out. Can it be that hard to pull them out?

I've planned on doing that and making a new string every season. The only problem is I never get out of the planning stage. I've normally got a couple in the bag by the time I think of it.

Nate

If your dentist will do the whole works for $700 he's a bargain. Mine want's $800 for the root canal and another $800 for the crown.
thumbdown.gif

Nate

Ive never thought about pulling the teeth but actually I think I would like to do that and make a necklace or call lanyard with them. I wouldnt wear the necklace but hang it in the truck or something. lol

Getting the teeth out?... After I've let the skull sit in a bucket of water for a month to get all the meat off I just let it air dry and the teeth tend to just fall out rather easily. My neighbors dogs also tend to bring home my coyote skulls for their owners.

First... skin the coyote.. then roast the skull in the oven at 150 degrees.... do not season it or place it in a bag... simply roast it until the eyeballs fall out... when they do.. the teeth will fall out as well...

I don't know if it works or not... but it's worth a try...

I'm just messing with you Man... hope you find the answer... thanks...Dan

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan brothersFirst... skin the coyote.. then roast the skull in the oven at 150 degrees.... do not season it or place it in a bag... simply roast it until the eyeballs fall out... when they do.. the teeth will fall out as well...

I don't know if it works or not... but it's worth a try...

Yikes!!! My wife would kill me!! The look on her face might be worth it though.

I want to make a necklace with coyote teeth and bobcat claws. I think boiling on the camp chef stove in the garage may be the way to go. I may try it next week if we shoot something this week.

Last edited:
I asked my wife, who is a vet tech. and she said the root is a little bigger than the canine itself. the best way to go about it would be to cut as much of the gum away as possible and the work the tooth loose with pliers unless you can get your hands on a pair of elevators.

hope this helps
Casey

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI've got a whole yard full of them. The dogs will drag a coyote skull from the brush pile, to chew on. I have canine teeth laying all over the place. I get asked all the time what they are.
smile.gif

Tony

My wife's lab puppy does the same thing. I was mowing the back yard toward the end of summer and kept running over chunks of bone with teeth in them. Turns out she was small enough to get into the enclosed area where I must have ( had ) 30 or so skulls buried at any given time. Near as I can tell- Daisy found all of 'em.
frown.gif

Removing ivory elk teeth is a pain. In the past I would cut the gum as much as possible and work the tooth out with pliers like advised above. Still a pain and the last one I broke off.

Last year my brother walked up with a small wooden dowel. He placed it on the outside of the tooth and gave it a whack with a hammer! It popped out as easy as could be. I think I’ll try it this week if H82miss can shoot straight..

Originally Posted By: jjessLast year my brother walked up with a small wooden dowel. He placed it on the outside of the tooth and gave it a whack with a hammer! It popped out as easy as could be. I think I’ll try it this week if H82miss can shoot straight..

Don't put your money on me shootin' straight. You saw what I was capable of last week. I've got 3 whole yotes in the freezer. Come on over and give it a try.

Haven't boiled out a coyote skull but I know on deer and Boar the teeth loosen up and or fall out after cleaning them, quite a bit of work just for a tooth though.

Back