Trijicon Accupoint Illumination color help

TXCOONDOG

I'm going to pick up a Trijicon and I'm undecided as far as color of the center dot so I'm looking for help from those that actually own a accupoint.

I like the crosshairs best and wondered which illumination color might work best for:

Night hunting under a full moon

Night hunting using a kill light (red)

Hunting wooded areas, pipelines, river bottoms and some clear cuts in low light (dusk/dawn).

I understand that some may only own one color, or maybe BOTH colors (green or amber). Green looks good to me but I would like to hear your thoughts and/or experiences.

Hey TX...I have one with the greendot. I like it and it works great for me. I use it with a kill light and I have also tried it with my buddies ND3 green laser. Since the dot on the scope is a concentrated dot, it has no problem being a contrast against the green light from the laser. That was a worry for me when I was trying to decide on a color myself. It is not a problem at all though.

I have the 3-9 and after comparing it to other scopes, like the Leupold VX-R 3-9, Monarchs... I found clarity and resolution to be much better than the Leupold or Monarch and on par with a Zeiss. Its a great scope, I bought the mildot one since I got a great deal on mine, but if I were to buy another, Id get the regular plex or a #4 reticle if they make it, not sure if they do though. Good luck...

I've seen others on here suggest they have problems seeing certain color dots in these scopes. If you can find a couple to look at in different colors, it might be wise to check them out before you buy it.

I've got the 3-9 x 40 Amber Dot, Standard Reticle. Never had a problem seeing the dot. The glass is simply amazing!!!

I have no problem seeing either color. I have looked at a VX-R, Eo Tech, etc and the dot looks blurry to me (vision problems), but not so with the accupoint. Another reason I've decided to go with Trijicon is because they're battlefield tested and hunting at night, deep in the forest, 90% alone, it has to be tough and dependable.

However, my comparisons have been in a store and not in the field so that is why I asked about color (standing out), etc.

I've had the money for an accupoint for a while and just waited to be sure that is what I wanted.

Deer season is fixing to end and predator hunting will begin so I got to make a move soon.

I wondered about the reticle, and either will do, but I was looking at buying the standard plex.

What mounts are you men using? I have a DNZ cantilever mount already which is made in the USA, and thinking about LaRue, but don't need QD since it will stay on this rig (for now anyway).

PS: I have fell hard walking across fallen timber and need a mount that holds zero or very little movement.

Last edited:
I have several Trijicon Accupoints and ACOG's. I am partial to the green color since the human eye picks that up quicker than any other color. I like the red second and last pick is amber.

I was a Leupold man for years but I think Trijicon is superior in all areas. You would have to move up to a very high dollar scope to surpass what you get for the money with Trijicon.

For coyote hunting I like the green post for quick target acqusition and fast follow up shots when needed.

As far as mounts I like one piece mounts. I use custom one piece mounts from www.JPRifles.com. Several other companies are making the one piece but the most popular is LaRue.

Ive had green in the accu point and amber in the acog, the green is much faster to recognize and gets my vote.

TX...I have a LaRue on mine since its on an AR. I also have a PEPR mount. The PEPR is a fine mount and probably all you will ever need, but I bought the laRue cause I may get another upper and switching back and forth between uppers is an option.

I beleive they also make a fixed mount too, not sure though. But honestly, the PEPR is really all you would need and priced right.

I'm currently running the green mil-dot and really like it. I owned an amber, standard crosshair a few years ago and like this setup a lot better. The thick, outer crosshairs of the mil-dot reticle, along with the green dot makes for very fast target acquisition.

I just ordered a Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 Riflescope, Matte Black, GreenDot Crosshair Reticle - TR20-1G from DVOR for $570.00

I got a new SD upper for Father's Day and an Accupoint for Christmas.

This has been an awesome year for me.

Thanks for the help all!

FYI- I learned that the Tritruim in green (12 years) is not only brighter but is expected to last twice as long than the amber (5 or 6 years) according to Trijicon's website

Last edited:
Too bad they do not have a monkey back flip smiley. Thank you TXcoondog I have got one coming my way. also another PM sent to ya. It's amazing how nice the people here are I hope I can pay this friendliness forward to help someone as I was helped!
thumbup1.gif

Back