Any pointers on cage traps freezing up?

I had another cat in the cage this morning but the trap mechanism froze and the trap didn't go off. Is this common or is there something I can do to prevent this?

I always check my traps after a snow or freezing rain by springing them a couple of times. Doesn't hurt to do this occasionally anyway, in case any little mischief makers (mice, packrats) have moved dirt or sticks below the pan. Clean all pan/trip contact of snow/ice after a storm. Lots of brush around and on top of the cage helps keep out the snow. Make sure there is no buildup of dirt around the hinge. This can collect moisture and freeze up.
I have heard of people using wax or oil or somesort on the moving parts. That might help.

I know, its always something.
cursing.gif

This mornings check I see where I missed the same cat for the second time. I have to rethink my setup again
scared.gif

I've had this problem before, and an old timer told me that wax was the best solution. i tried it and now i depend on it.... it always seems like the nights when your trap is most likely to freeze up is the night the animals will be moving......

Carry some vaseline or Pet. jelly with you. Put it on the contact points of your trigger system and any hinge points on your pan. Will save you a ton of grief. Odor doesnt bother those kitties, so no worries about that.

And watch when you set your traps, that juniper or pinon branches loaded with snow are not over hanging your doors. They will drip on your trap. I always knock the snow off the branches after a snow.

Hope it helps.

Yes, I learned that the snow needs to be knocked off the branches. I also put wax on the mechanisms and they move so slick now, a few wouldn't even stay up, I had to scrape the wax off. Thanks for the help, I believe it will solve my problems. Another thing I realized is if the traps doors are facing south, the problem seems worse because the sun melts the snow in the day and turns to ice at night. the traps facing north or west didn't have this problem, they just didn't melt. I guess freezing traps is part of it, in our winters, but the wax sure looks like it wil help. Thanks.

Im just getting started in cage trapping,I live in CO also and I am looking into getting bigger cages for yotes, do any of you have any recomondations on brands or types type. Also what is the best bait you have found. I live in eastern CO so coyotes and fox will be my main targets.

Back