Which new rifle - 22 Hornet or 204 Ruger?

I don't think I'd put the HMR in a class with centerfire cartridges. But, I'll get flamed for this, I don't care for the 17 calibers, rimfire or centerfire. A 20 or 22 caliber will do anything you want to fill the gap. If muzzel jump is the only problem, have a break installed, Alot cheaper that a rifle. JMO

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI don't think I'd put the HMR in a class with centerfire cartridges. But, I'll get flamed for this, I don't care for the 17 calibers, rimfire or centerfire. A 20 or 22 caliber will do anything you want to fill the gap. If muzzel jump is the only problem, have a break installed, Alot cheaper that a rifle. JMO

As we have said before...we are not disputing that,if you don't want to save hides you are right. If you want to save hides then the 204 or 17 Remington centerfire is the way to go. Use a 308, 300 win mag, 270, 30-06. The 204 will do anything a 223 will do and not blow a big hole.

Originally Posted By: Ricky BobbyGary, you're missing out on the 204!

It is WICKED FAST !!!
ohmy.gif

I don't know how else to describe it.

Speed as a stand alone selling point is kinda silly IMO.
A hit is a hit, a miss is a miss, irregardless of whether or not it's blistering fast.

thumbup.gif

Listen, I love the .22 Hornet probably more than anyone out there! So SPEED is not something I consider neccesary for an awesome round.

My kills with my .204 are just undescribeable, when I do my part and connect with good shot placement. It still amazes me how critters are stone cold dead, before what seems like I'm done squeezing the trigger! Even at distances up to 300 yards! The .204 is just FAST! It becomes addicting.

The cartridges that my work for you are the 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, 204 Ruger, and 221 Fireball . Hornadys 17 Hornet cartridges rifles may be available next year. Over the years I have enjoyed tring out various cartridges and brands of rifles. My small game and varmints rifles that I have used are the 17 HM2 RF, 17 HMR RF, 17 Fireball, 17 Rem , 204 Ruger, 22 LR RF, 22 WMR RF, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, and 243 Win. Im not a 22 Hornet fan but like the 221 Fireball round . The 204 Ruger round is a good one to start with. Its flat shooting with little recoil with plenty of bullet energy beyond 300 yards for prairie dogs and bigger preditors within 300 yards.

Thanks for all the great info. Looks like I'll have to for sure go with a 204. Lots of the other calibers mentioned seem interesting too, but I think I'd have to get back into reloading to really take advantage of them.

223, here is why;
Vast selection of guns and ammo readily available everywhere. Ammo is economical, even if u reload, brass is everywhere. Bullet selection is endless. Its deadly on yotes yet more fur friendly. Example, 50 rds of fiocchi 40 gr vmax can be had for under 20 bucks a box, its very accurate and effective, at 3600-3800 fps you dont give much to the 204. Or u can go 69 gr matchking 50-60 grain vmax. Its everywhere. 22 hornet is good but is more limited and will get allot of runners and spinners. Mine is reserved for when foxes are primary target.

The more I read, the more I'm thinking I need to try the .204 as well ......... I'm running a .223, 22-250 and .22 Hornet so far.

Last edited:
Back