Remington 700

far as I know, all their barrels are hammer forged. someone correct me if something has changed since I have looked into it.
Barry

I thought only savage had button rifled barrels out of the big gun manufacturers & remington, winchester, browning, tikka, etc. were all hammer forged or cut barrels. I kind of figured that's why savage typically shot a little better & more consistent. Isn't the only big difference between a savage barrel & a custom barrel is savage isn't lapped?

Now that right there is funny!
smile.gif

By the way...

Button Rifling

Button rifling was perfected during World War II when it became clear that the slower cut rifling methods of the day couldn’t satisfy the tremendous demand for barrels. The process was perfected by Remington who used the nearby facilities at Hart Barrels for its experiments during the development.

In this process, which is the most common in the U.S., a carbide "button" is passed through the bore to form the rifling. First the bore has to be lubricated. Every barrel maker has their own "secret sauce" or lube and guards its identity fiercely. A button is a somewhat football shaped carbide tool with the rifling pattern ground in relief into its surface. The button is attached to a rod and is then pulled through the bore. (Hart pushes them through instead.) As the hard button passes through, the raised rifling pattern on its surface is pressing into the softer surface of the bore and is creating the grooves in a cold forming process.

The operation is very fast, and only takes about a minute per barrel. Thus, button rifled barrels are usually less costly to produce. There are two types of buttons. One is a simple rifling button which works as just described. On the minus side, a simple button will leave burr like feathers on the edge of the lands. However, a combo unit which consists of a rifling button and a finishing button will both press in the lands and smooth their edges in the same pass.

As you might guess, pulling an oversized button through an undersized hole requires great force and creates significant stress in the barrel. As a result, it’s mandatory that button rifled barrels be stress relieved after the process. If not, all kinds of strange things including splitting down the length of the barrel is possible.

Good info. That's why funny or stupid don't bother me. It took me throwing my worthless knowledge to get an answer. So what is more accurate...button rifling or hammer forged...& didn't want or mean to get away from bob9's question.

Just found that remington hammer forges their barrels. It is to be the preferred way for accuracy. Now Hart & Shilen both use the button rifling method. So does Savage. The person behind the process of either or method I guess makes the difference.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm just getting into the Bolt Rifle platform from my Ar's and was looking at the Remington to start with....and build from their.

Merry Christmas to all,
Bob

he part that was funny is people with an agenda keep saying the Savage is as good or beter than the Remington 700. hey even go onvarious sites trashing the Remington guns. It has been said and repeated so many times people are realy starting to believe it. Sad really, now that I think about it.

I've tried a few Savages and Stevens lately thinking maybe they improved them. Honestly they are simply not in the same class as the 700.

Manufacturing being what it is today I don't think you find any production gun with a cut tube. he custom long range gun manufactures are building guns that shoot sub 1/2 minute out past 1000 yards wih button cut tubes. And yes I did say button cut. If you've ever seen the process in action you would agree.

spiaailli, you got to make up your mind. Is it forged, buttoned or cut? Button should not be confused with cut. Remington hammer forges their barrels because it is cheaper to do so. That is why most major manufacturers do so. Hart, Shilen, Schneider, Lilja, Pac-Nor, Wilson, Spencer, Douglas and others use the carbide button process. Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Bartlein & Krieger use the cut rifling method.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hillsidehogJust found that remington hammer forges their barrels. It is to be the preferred way for accuracy. Now Hart & Shilen both use the button rifling method. So does Savage. The person behind the process of either or method I guess makes the difference. my brothers shilen shoots bigger groups than his factory remington barrel. my hart(1) shoots groups like my kriegers(6).

Back