Who Really Keeps Hides....?

dan brothers

On an average... who really keeps hides...?

The common thread with predator hunting is about what is fur friendly or not.

Every time a caliber is mentioned... the fur friendly factor comes into play. I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND that fur friendly calibers are IMPORTANT to you guys who keep fur... but I guess I'm wondering what is the percentage of those who keep it... and those who don't.

Maybe you Guys in the cold North are more prone to keep it when it's in prime... which makes sense... but are most critter killers into it for the fur... or just for the thrilling action.

Both... would be the normal answer... but I guess I'll step up and say.... that I don't keep fur... but maybe because it's not Northern Fur.

I can see that hunting in the right area could change your ways of handling fur... which would make you more concerned about your choice of caliber and or needle sewing ability.

So... after all this head running...

Who is really into keeping it... who isn't...?

I keep it way i look at it is im going to coyote hunt weather i get the money or not so i dont count that into the time it takes for each hide but the 15-45 dollars that i do get on hides equals out to more money than i get paid an hour at work so it is worth it to me... I hunt every thing from the owyhees in southern idaho eastern oregon all the way up to northern montana were hides are prime i try to keep all of them i get

This year I'm keeping it. When it was down to $5 a coyote on the hoof a couple of years ago I didn't. It's hard enough wading through snow without dragging a $5 coyote.

Nate

I keep all of my good fur , MI fox and yotes. I've got a bunch of wall hangers and a huge tub full of back skins, going to build a blanket one of these days.

I also try to keep a good hide or 2 from pred travel hunts, which has been Cent and West TX so far.Get them tanned for keep sakes.

I like to call it "hillbilly" wall paper.
grin.gif

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI like to call it "hillbilly" wall paper.
grin.gif

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

I like that Tim I have a few of them myself. As for keeping fur our coyotes are not worth anything but the cats are another story. Our local fur buyer paid $200 for a good cat a few days ago.

Like some of the others, I keep the good looking hides.
Even if the shot tore them up a bit, I'll take the time to sew them if they are a good looking hide and I'll get good money for it.

The unique hides (blondes, really dark, or reddish) ones I'll keep for myself and any average coyotes I will give to a local guy to skin out and sell.

Man I love that hillbilly wallpaper!

I save some of the hides from out of state and my local bobcats. I saved hides for years up to the early 90's. Then the fur buyers vanished. I hunt because I love it, it is part of my life and good times with my family. These are the only reasons I need.

I keep a lot of mine. I tan my own. My kids take some. Their friends take some. And like Tim said- it makes great wallpaper
smile.gif

001-6.jpg

002-10.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-3.jpg

005-4.jpg

This is where it happens if it's too cold.
006-4.jpg

i only shoot 'em in the late fall and winter when they are good, (unless rancher friends have a problem) and i only have hunted western states, Mostly MT and AK so i peel them all and keep the good ones and sell the others. I grew up and until a year and a half ago only spot and stalked predators so i didnt kill tons of them so the monetary gain would be relitively small,so i keep most for my self and make stuff out of it. Like Tim i am saving some for a blanket, and make hats and mitts and mukluks with them.

Tim,
Love the Hillbilly wall paper, theres a fella up here that has so much of it you cant see the walls through the layers of lynx, fox, beaver, and bears
smile.gif

I keep em and sell em. Got to pay for the heavyshot T's one way or another. Way I see it I wouldn't leave 5, 10 and 20 dollar bills laying on the ground.

Back