pivoting bipod

COYKILL

I am looking for a pivoting bipod I can attach to my gun as it has two mounts one for the sling and one for the bipod to attach directly to it. I looked at the Caldwell XLA 701417 and the Stoney Point but don't like how it is made with the elastic and it isn't height adjustable. Also looked at Harris so what is the best pivoting and quick on/off one made? I am 5' 7" tall and will be using it in the sitting position

Harris Bi-Pods do not pivot from left to right per say , they just tip from side to side .
If you want to pan left to right with a Harris you must pick up the rifle and move it .
If you want a rest that will truly PIVOT look at a Vern Howey pair of sticks or Bog Pod sticks .
You mentioned quick to get off , nothing quicker then a set of sticks . Jerry.

Unless you purchase one of the Harris Pivoting Adaptors that is ~~~

Allows all Harris Bipods to rotate right and left.

For the first time your Harris Bipod can really rotate so you don't have to move the rifle to follow your target. Mounts to all Picatinny rails with a quick detachable button. To attach, just slide on the rail and release button. To detach just push the button and slide the bipod off the rail.
url]

Let me add, it's designed for Picatinny Rails though.

Last edited:
Take a look at Vanguard equalizer. I'm looking for one as well and this is the one I'm considering.

Does anyone have experience with these?

I have a Caldwell and a Harris. Harris is much higher quality and more expensive. Caldwell works just fine, I'm careful with it. Both pivot to adjust for uneven ground, they don't rotate. The sitting height one is plenty tall. I'm 5'8" and can sit on a slope and make it tall enough to use.

Take a look at the Primos trigger sticks and the new Bog Pod sportsmans bi pod. They don't attach to the rifle. They both rotate and can be pivoted since they are not attached.

I use the Harris. It cants but does not swivel.
I also use the Stoney point rapid pivot bipod. I'm very happy with either one.

OK, the Vanguard swings 30 degrees each way and only tilts 5 degrees. I want more versatility than that. Bog Pod doesn't attach to the gun from what I have seen and the Harris does not pivot from side to side from above post so is the Caldwell the one to get then? I don't like the reviews about something cracking on the Stoney Point ones so they are out. Any others that attach to a gun with quick on/off and rotating and tilting capabilities? Thanks

I like the Stonepoint, I have a standing that I use in the sitting postion, Im 6'2" so I like the hieght when the telescoping legs are all the way in. I also carry the the prone in my pack when the long shot come along. My son uses the folding, I took out one of the sections to fit him a little better, He's only 12 and fits him like a glove. The only down side to the stoneypoint is the rubber between the legs will crack if you spread them to far. I sent one back to them and the customer service was good, If you buy one make sure to take it easy on it until the rubber gets lossend up. I like the fact that I can take it off my rifle when not in use, and swicth from sitting to prone. It took along time for me to find one that fit the same wants you have and this set up has more pro's than cons.

I had ruled the Stonepoint out for the reason of the bad rubber. I don't want to have to send it back when it cracks. I want one that works and lasts. I appreciate the reply.

Just my 2 cents worth. The country I hunt in is hilly and I'm usually sitting on a side hill or knoll for some elevation.

I have both the Harris and Stoney Point bipods which will adjust for my sitting height. They always were a proverbial pain in the rump because once adjusted for elevation swinging them from side to side meant lifting everything up and swinging the legs from side to side. Tooooo much movement when your hand calling and a yote is coming in and looking your way.

I always hoped Harris would make up an adaptor to allow the bipod to swivel, let's say 30 degrees from side to side. I opened one of the links and see that Harris do make an adaptor but looks like you have to have a picatinny rail to attach it.

Frustrated I bought a Vanguard and found that after using a Harris it was worse than useless. More fuss trying to adjust the legs and the pivoting mechanism is just cheap plastic and not all that stable. In fact the post where you would attach the front of your rifle sling is plastic as well and I just wouldn't trust carrying a rifle with an expensive scope attached. I've never seen a piece of plastic yet that never finally broke?

Personally I wouldn't advise anyone to buy the Vanguard. At the moment I use either my mono-pod or my shooting sticks and to be honest it's the mono-pod 95% of the time.

If you can find and old stonepoint that was made in the USA the rubber won't crack. My standing one is that way and the quality of the rubber is great. Im think mine has a bronze colored meatl tag on it with polecat stamped on it. But like everything else a big company buy them out and has made some where else and the quality goes down hill. I sure don't mind paying for GOOD products....

Caldwell is just a Harris clone made in China. Same function, lower quality. The Primos trigger stick might be the ticket for you. It also has strap to hold it to the rifle. I want one, just don't want to spend $80 and find that I don't like it.

I have the trigger sticks.. amd really like both sizes... and i have all types and sizes of other sticks... and the caldwell bipod... which pivots and works well on lever ground....

the major benefit to the trigger sticks is this....
by simply pulling the trigger... the rifle can be raised... lowered... panned left or right... WITHOUT MOVING THE STICKS THEMSELVES... no other stick or bipod can do that...

I've used the Harris Pivot 13.5-27" for many years and always found them to be the best option.

Has anyone ever tried this item: Vanguard Equalizer 3QS Kneeling Pivot Pod

The leg locking mechanism seems better than Harris, like our camera tripods, and it will provide the extra length sometimes needed. I'm a little confused how this attached and "detaches quickly", but I am interested in switching over. Afraid to take the risk though on pricey item. Any input greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

I picked up a Blackhawk at cabelas a while back and so far it has worked well for me. I chose the prone model and I carry a trigger stick to use when sitting. It swivels and pivots and I haven't noticed a difference in quality compared to the Harris I have.

I bought a primos trigger stick bi-pod this fall.It worked fine until it got cold.Then the legs would not release properly and i ended up breaking the piece in the middle where the legs attach and one of the ears broke on the gun cradle. Am going to take them back to cabelas and see what they say.I live in northern Minnesota so it does get pretty cold here.Any comments on a snipe-pod that what i am thinking about next

Ok, the Stoney point rapid pivot bipod is excellent....if you beef it up. Like others, my first set the rubber cracked. I have heavy guns and if you don't hold onto them...say your sitting, one hand on the gun one hand on you calls, the gun can cock sideways and crack the rubber. My second pair I took them and made the Chinese crap into American quality. Get some vet wrap, aka coband, and rip it into 1 inch or so strips, a foot or so long. Spread the legs of it to about as far as you want them to go while hunting then wrap the strips around the rubber yoke. Do it in a crisscrossing way that supports it and doesn't let the rubber bend too far. Kinda like wrapping an ankle for a football game. I've been using mine hard for over a year now with no problems. They attach easily to the gun, are very adjustable for height, and can pan left and right. Really the ultimate coyote set up if they were durable. Try this fix and I think you'll be happy.

Back