8x57 Mauser with 180gr NBT

BigKev

Guys I am reloading a few rounds for my dad, I have never loaded this round before. I have a few mild loads made up already. I set the OAL at 3.245 rather than the max of 3.250. The magazine length on the K98's is supposed to be 3.315 so it should fit in the mag. With these projectiles they just look long. Have any of you used these projectiles in the 8mm Mauser, if so what OAL have you been using? Any help would be appreciated.
Here is a pic of one of my loaded rounds...does it look right to you? Sorry about the glare.

IMG-20111220-00226.jpg

It does look long but as you say 3.250" is max OAL. You can seat the bullets a little deeper if you wish so long as its not excessively deep. The 3.245" that you chose should work fine. Do they chamber well? IF so, you should be GTG for OAL.

Just a heads up. Early 8MM (J) used .318 bullets. Most of the newer 8MM (JS) use .323 bullets. You need to be shure which one you have!

An old rule of thumb is that a bullet needs to be seated at least as deep as the caliber, .323 for good neck tension.

There are many threads on here on finding the best seating depth.

Yep, aware of that one. Its going through a 1936 Mauser Oberndorf K98 so its the newer one, not one of the old Kommission rifles.

That ought to be a whompper/stompper of a load there. I just measured some Portuguese military surplus at 3.162 oal. I have some original German issue WWII military ammo but couldn't find it immediately. Of course the round has to fit the mag well and must fit the chamber/throat depending on the individual rifle and bullet ogive. Grand old round-sounds like a nice rifle. TTT

Back