Bipod for coyote hunting?

Bumrush

I have an Ar 15 that I will be using for coyote hunting and I would like to put a bipod on it for stand shooting, What are my options and how do mount them to the gun? I will be putting a picatinni rail on it.

Depending on your position while on a stand, there are various lengths of bipods...Most are attached to a sling attachment button on the forearm...Most standard AR hand guards need to have the attachment button installed, since it is not normally an included item...

THIS is a link to one on Brownell's website to indicate what I'm referencing...

Once installed, normally the bipod attaches to it..

A lot of shooters/hunters prefer to use shooting sticks over a bipod due the the problems if you need to move the weapon in a hurry, as sometimes, the legs of the bipod get caught in adjacent grass, brush, etc...

I'm new to using shooting sticks. I recently purchased some Stoney Point sticks that self deploy. So far, I like them okay. However, once or twice this morning when picking them up from being deployed into the ground (so that I could reposition them), the sticks separated on me, making a clanking noise when the bottom section finally released from the soft ground.

I don't like the idea of attaching a bipod to my AR due to the increased weight. As it is, she weighs 9 pounds without one, and it's only 18"....

Turtle I noticed that you must drill a hole to use that swivel, not sure if Im willing to drill holes in my rail system. I was thinking that a bipod would work better since it would be attached to the firearm instead of having to hold shooting stix and the gun at the same time.

Here is my new Specialized Dynamics .17 Rem flat top. I have a Versa-pod mount on the sling stud. I like how quick and easy it is to change it, and I have mounts on my different AR's. I also take my Stoney Point telescoping shooting sticks, and I really love those. When I started I ended up lugging around two different bipods, whether I was able to sit on a stool or had to sit on the ground. The stick/pod combo works for so many different things. And with the telescoping sticks, I can stand if I need to.

IMG_2448.jpg

you just use your existing sling swivel, the new mount has a screw that goes right thru the existing sling swivel and then tightens up with 2 allen screws to pull the new mounting bracket tight against the forearm. the new mounting bracket has a sling swivel attached to it. You can quick detach or leave the bipod on. mount it with legs foward or backwards.

I use all three sizes of bipods, depending on the tactic that day. I typically keep a short bipod in my pred pack. If i am using a fast gun I don't mind having a 9-13 inch bipod clamped on the swivle stud. If I am using a 17 HMR or a 22 Hornet I use only sticks. WHY you ask? I recommend that every one who shoots a mounted bipod to test their POI when it is folded up, extended,... you will be surprised of a POI shift and group size differences. The slower the cartridge or longer the BP the more change, this gets into unraving accuracy and stablizing much like a stabalizer on a bow. Test it so you will not be surprised. I used a versa pod on my M40, liked it because sometimes you want a handstop, and the pod is easy on and off, But it is heavy if you are hauling enough crap for a 3 day stay. I also have the swivle type BPs to help level out the rifle, important if you are working a med to long range shot. Many of the longer BPs are still short if sitting, so try them out first.

Bipods are nice if you have level ground. I have a Harris bipod that sits in the safe now. I use some stoney point shooting sticks now that I got from Scott after Worlds. They will adjust from sitting on the ground all the way to standing up, they are nice and easy to adjust.

Bumrush,,One of the things I picked up at a local Farm store is a monopod that has a "velcro" attachment strap that wraps around the forearm....It's made of lightweight plastic and is capable of extending out to a comfortable sitting position...

I think it was initially made for Turkey hunters, at least that's the section of the display that I found it located..

You don't know that it's on the weapon if you need to move it, but unfortunately, it doesn't fold back, out of the way when moving from point A to point B...

I like it better than my bipod and it's much easier to control than a pair of sticks..

I only use the bipods for the range any more, they cause more problems for me than they solve. As turtle mensioned, you cant move in high thick grass or deep snow. The other problem, that I find to be worse, is that if you are sitting facing down a slope, you can only shoot down the slope. The pod wont be tall enough to shoot across to the next hill side. Also whe you are sitting in snow, the legs will sink much lower than your butt. With the HS sticks I use I just push the legs closer to raise it up.

I keep my short bipod on year round. Use it more on chucks than anything else. I rest off my knees, dont like having to move sticks around especially with a hard charger. Popped a baby chuck last summer at 180yds in the head in the sitting position.

Back